Removing the toy from the equation - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question Removing the toy from the equation

Hi there,
What is the best way to wean a dog off a toy when learning fuss? It's been a while since I taught this last! I'd like to start trying the command without the toy visible. Here is where we are at right now (video included below), we haven't done much work with the command but his focus seems good to me; slows when I slow and sits when I stop. We also have not worked with a trainer yet on this so any suggestions would be helpful. I feel like he is forging ahead slightly and cutting into my space? How would you correct this? Or am I wrong and he not doing either of these things?
Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R1ROfRnuCSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 11-27-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:38 PM

You're right,he is wrapping around front just a bit.That's usually because you've been rewarding with your right hand and he's trying to stay positioned to receive it.Or he's been trained to watch your eyes so he wraps around to stare.Looking good though!Happy and focused

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Master Member

Can you post another video of calling the dog to heel all the way thru to the reward and maybe 10-15 seconds after. And yes the reward should come from the left hand. Guide the dog by holding the leash in the right hand, lure and reward with the left. I made a similar mistake with my pup and even the I held the reward in my left hand I had a habit of holding it near my stomach rather than out front of the dog and we had that same wrap around going on.

But yes he looks great overall. Good focus and he seems happy to be working with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You're right,he is wrapping around front just a bit.That's usually because you've been rewarding with your right hand and he's trying to stay positioned to receive it.Or he's been trained to watch your eyes so he wraps around to stare.Looking good though!Happy and focused
Wow you're good LOL! I started off training him and held the ball at my stomach and then our regular trainer (not schutzhund) suggested I put it under my left armpit and when i'm ready to reward him just drop it by putting my arm up. We've been practicing the reward from the left armpit only a couple months so over time he should straighten out? Thank you ; that is what I love most about him, he is easy to train and he is always happy and ready to go! I don't think we will be doing any actual schutzhund so I'm not being super picky but would like him to learn fuss without the ball always there. Do most people only use the command for competition or does anyone use it in tight situations too?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Can you post another video of calling the dog to heel all the way thru to the reward and maybe 10-15 seconds after. And yes the reward should come from the left hand. Guide the dog by holding the leash in the right hand, lure and reward with the left. I made a similar mistake with my pup and even the I held the reward in my left hand I had a habit of holding it near my stomach rather than out front of the dog and we had that same wrap around going on.

But yes he looks great overall. Good focus and he seems happy to be working with you.
It might be a while before I can get another video, since I need someone to hold the camera. We will work on it though! I've been putting the ball in my left arm pit and then releasing it for the reward. Should I be holding it instead in my hand? Got it. Thank you .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

You fade the toy in and out while you extend the time period. then you start putting the ball out of sight completely while extending the distance and time.

always pay attention to your reward line. And to how your dog is reacting to the extension of time between rewarding.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Oh thank you that made a lot of sense!!! I was searching everywhere for videos but couldn't find any lol.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

Amanda at Complete Canine is a very talented trainer.

This one is really good too. Christina puts up some great video
https://www.facebook.com/Epiphanycanine/
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Amanda at Complete Canine is a very talented trainer.

This one is really good too. Christina puts up some great video
https://www.facebook.com/Epiphanycanine/
Awesome stuff! How do they get them to do that sort of prancing thing with their front legs? I've seen Gandalf have better focus than the time we shot our video but nothing like that! Amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page