Country training differances - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dainerra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Country training differances

I have always had an interest in the many many different training methods and always do lots of research before choosing the right one for me.
I have a history of lots of work with animals and have lots of discussions with my current training class owner.

Being in the UK I do mainly hear about UK training methods and trainers.
Lately I have been looking into country differences on training methods and I wondered if anyone else had also done much research on different countries.

I could list some things that I have noticed seem to be a lot more popular in US and other techniques in UK, but I don't want to go too in to depth of different methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

What an interesting question! I do understand what you mean and I think the dog forums in the different countries could be a good reflection of these differences. Because I prefer positive training methods and do not want to use a prong collar or an e-collar which seemed to me to be more advocated on this North American forum and I am not interested in IPO or Schutzhund training, so I joined a gsd forum in your country and learned alot and still miss it when ended due to a hacking incident. In that forum (I think it was called MyGermanShepherd), positive training was stressed and the use of harnesses. There were no posts for protection training. Use of slip collar was frowned upon and no mention of a prong collar. There was one member from New Zealand who was in the minority who did use an e-collar and one other from the UK who used a slip collar. I am a member of the Forum du Berger allemand www.forumduba.com which is a gsd forum in France. Though the forum does discuss the French Ring competition there has not been one post on the use of a prong collar or e-collar. There are no posts and this was also the same with the UK forum, on aggression or biting incidents as there are on this forum. That does make me think there are decided differences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Crowned Member

honestly, I'm not a big fan of any forum that is "This is the only way to train"
In my opinion, the only way to train is "what works best for this dog"

You also have to remember that some countries have actually outlawed certain tools such as prongs or e-collars. Often this is more out of misconception and image that an actual working knowledge of how they work.

Crates are another big difference. In Europe the idea of crating a dog is almost unheard of and announcing that you are crate-training is scandalous
cliffson1 and car2ner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 06:09 AM
Aly
Master Member

I too think that this is a very interesting question. Leads me to wonder if cultural differences in training methods/approaches might stem from cultural differences (generally speaking) in how people view dogs and human-canine relationships? Where the relationship is largely defined as functional (e.g., working animals) as opposed to affiliative (e.g., companion only), for example? Interesting...Oh and here's a link to a previous discussion along somewhat similar lines:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...l-behaved.html

OP, I think it would be an interesting paper to read, once you pulled together your observations.

Aly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 AM

We trained with a German immigrant for IPO. He keeps up with the latest ideas around the world. He is not anti-prong or e-collar but he is absolutely "you have to use it right and in the right situation". He does strive to do more and more with rewarding and bonding than compulsion. So even around the world, the way things are done is shifting.

I don't like the banning of some collars. We need more education and less banning. And I think European dogs sometimes behave better because they are taken out into public and expected to behave better, not just locked in the back yard and untrained.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page