Changing trainers/club a bad thing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cdwoodcox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Changing trainers/club a bad thing?

Okay so im getting a pup (hopefully if all goes according to plan) around early summer 2018. Now i've been doing alot of homework on training and temperament and drives, but i figure a little professional help couldnt hurt so i will most likely be enlisting the services of Iron Mountain K9 (Canine Training | Iron Mountain K9) here in oregon to kind of help teach me how to teach her and start laying a little ground work for potential IPO in the future. I would of course not push hard at all as a pup, i want her to be a puppy and enjoy herself and I dont want to burn her out, but just laying a little groundwork i dont think can hurt. And im not even 100% sure i would go for IPO, Its just a good milestone goal(CGC being the earlier milestone) for me and her with the most emphasis on just having fun and growing together and learning what makes her tick and being completely on the same page with her, i think it will make both of us lead happier lives together. I also love the idea of the amount of discipline and focus it takes to get it required by both of us, i think it can be a really interesting thing to have a bond with something that cant even speak where you can work together like that. Anywas im kinda digressing, my main concern is I will probably be moving to colorado around 2019-2020. Would this be detrimental to switch clubs or trainers around 1 year old for her? I figure if i dont go into any real specific IPO training until we are settled it'll be fine? just work on basics of obedience and protection and scent here and there?

Anyways what do yall think? also I know Colorado is big but any suggestions of good welcoming clubs/trainers there with a similar mindset? (if im understanding clubs right anyways) Thanks for any input.

also as a side question, im not tooo privy on 'clubs' is it just a group of folks also dedicated to training? or does it include trainers as well? excuse this dumb question, this is obviously a very deep tradition/culture im just starting off learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Master Member

Most people on here suggest waiting until at least 6 months to start obedience training with a club. That time should be used to let the puppy be a puppy and for the two of you to bond. Perfect time to start shaping and doing some basic stuff to build drive and get your pup used to the motions.

As for moving clubs there's no big deal there as long as you stick to the type of training your pup respond best to.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Knighted Member

Get your pup in club as soon as you get her or him. A good club will be able to guide you as far as what is appropriate for you and the pup to work on. A lot of shaping and fun obedience, tracking. As far as moving clubs shouldn't be no problem with a good dog.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Master Member

Being new to dog training I would also suggest getting involved with a club as soon as possible. While you dont want to push doing protection or advanced obedience early there's so many things you can do with a young puppy to build engagement and drive early on.

I dont think you can start easy tracking and obedience too early. Just make it fun and short, like a game for the dog. You may not want to start much protection work at all before you move. It's very important for a young dog and also you as a new handler to stick to the same training program at the beginning so long as it fits you and your dog. Switching from one club's training methods to another's for protection could really cause some setbacks if the two clubs are not similar.

As far as clubs go they can be weird, some are very exclusive and dont really want newbies around while others are very welcoming and open. Being new to the sport in a club can be hard, club members help each other out with training problems and offer advice but being inexperienced you can't really do this. Best bet is to just learn as much as possible and help out in any way you can to be a good club member. Maybe bring drinks, snacks, or help set things up for training. Clubs usually have a training director who is most likely the one that will guide you in your training.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page