Do you let your dog sniff when on walks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Do you let your dog sniff when on walks?

I have managed to train my dog to walk right next to me when on leash walks but he is usually sniffing the ground or looking for mailboxes and polls to sniff and pee if he smells another dog smell.

Should i continue to let him do this or should i make him focus on me when we are on walks. Also i am not sure if i should let him keep marking spots because sometimes when we are on walk he will stop and pee 5-6 times which can be annoying.

Do you guys let your dogs sniff the ground as you are walking them... i noticed some dogs just calmly walk next to their owners without doing all the sniffing but i am not sure if that is being fair to the dog as i know they love to sniff.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

how about I say "both"? walking with solid focus at all times can be a bit boring for dogs. Especially if you are going for a long walk. How long can you make it focusing on nothing but your dog as you are walking?

Instead, I ask for focused heeling for portions of the walk, when we are approaching traffic, along the highway or passing a house where I know there is a problem dog or other distraction. Other times, I simply ask for loose leash walking and we keep a brisk pace but he isn't focused on me and we don't stop to sniff. Then we have portions where I release him and he is allowed to sniff, potty, and we walk slowly giving time to take in all the smells and sights.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Yes. When we are just walking, he is allowed to experience his environment. If I want his attention then I ask for it. If he's sniffing and I want to keep moving, I tell him 'let's go'.

if we are training, he better not be doing anything other than the command I've given him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Master Member

How old is your dog?
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM

Both. We usually let Jack sniff if it's just an idle walk around the neighborhood. These are done almost for the sole purpose of getting us all outside for some fresh air instead of exercise. When we take him on hikes off leash, of course he gets to sniff, but we keep walking on and don't stop to wait for him.

The only times he doesn't is when we're in a populated area, near/on/crossing a road, walking by people/dogs on the trail, or at an event. Those times we need him to focus and stay right next to us. Especially in a crowd.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
How old is your dog?
1 year 8 months.

What i get from the responses is to allow sniffing as long as we are on walks but if i need him to pay attention when near other dogs and crossing the street then he needs to pay attention to me (Sounds great). What is the best way to start the training to have him go from him sniffing and then having him focus on me and walking when i want him to? I am guessing ill need to be able to tell him command to turn him from allowing him to sniff to ok time to walk and focus on me but i am not quite sure how i can do that

Also how about marking...do you allow that?

My dog is not neutered should i be allowing him to mark on walks. There are alot of mailboxes when i walk him in the neighberhood and he looks forward to sniffing each and every mailbox and will pee 5-6 times on the mailbox during our walk. Not sure if i should allow him to do this.

Last edited by 1800CoolGuy; 10-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

I don't allow marking on walks. I give designated times when he is allowed to potty but that is it
Jax08, KaiserAus and Wolfhund like this.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

I think your conflating a "Structured Walk" and a less formal walk. A dog has to be taught/shown what you want first and then you can loosen up without a lot of the crap behavior, it's a process. But have a look here for insight. :

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ured-walk.html
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

my answer is NO

not until released and free to romp

you said "I have managed to train my dog to walk right next to me when on leash walks but he is usually sniffing the ground or looking for mailboxes and polls to sniff and pee if he smells another dog smell. "

but then the dog is not walking with you -- he is in his zone

dogs have such a phenomenal sense of scent they don't need to be stopping and pulling off course
Chip18 and Wolfhund like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
1 year 8 months.

What i get from the responses is to allow sniffing as long as we are on walks but if i need him to pay attention when near other dogs and crossing the street then he needs to pay attention to me (Sounds great). What is the best way to start the training to have him go from him sniffing and then having him focus on me and walking when i want him to? I am guessing ill need to be able to tell him command to turn him from allowing him to sniff to ok time to walk and focus on me but i am not quite sure how i can do that

Also how about marking...do you allow that?

My dog is not neutered should i be allowing him to mark on walks. There are alot of mailboxes when i walk him in the neighberhood and he looks forward to sniffing each and every mailbox and will pee 5-6 times on the mailbox during our walk. Not sure if i should allow him to do this.
Start by making the release clear to him. Walk him in heel, stop and have him sit, then calmly release him from the sit to sniff around. Use the sit like that so he doesn't anticipate the release and break to mark on his own. You can start into heel again randomly from the sit too, to keep his attention. Do it over and over, lots of repetitions then add distance. When they're released they get to be a dog. Mine marks like a demon and I crack up when he puts on that full macho display, kicking up grass and all. When they do that though, its on you to use a little sense about where you allow it.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page