• 1 Post By Apex1
  • 1 Post By Ldes77
  • 3 Post By WIBackpacker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Best Educational books on Training Theory

Good Morning all,

This thread is not seeking a "best book on training XXX or XXX breed."

I am 32 years old, so hopefully there are quite a few more GSD's in my lifetime. I would like to start developing a more intimate knowledge of training theory and understanding. Being more educated between the different theories can only help my understanding on how to properly communicate with my current, and future dogs.

With that preface, are there any books a seasoned owner would recommend that were real eye openers for them? I have browsed a few of the threads using the search function, and have ordered "Don't Shoot the Dog." But most of the threads have specific; "How do I do X' How Do I correct X; Are there GSD training books" when searching. I would like to start more with the basic fundamentals.

I also understand that there are manyyyyyyyy theories out there and even this question might be a broad stroke question. So, any books someone would recommend that were really helpful, well written, really shifted their personal understanding of behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Master Member

I liked the Dog Vinci Code, and am currently reading a very good book Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth. While I am not purely positive Sheila Booths book is really good.
MrSmith likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM

I really like "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. It's a very simple, straight-forward introduction and explanation of marker training/operant conditioning theory.
I just picked up Mike Ritland's "Team Dog" and so far enjoying it very much.
MrSmith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Administrator

"Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them" (Reid)

and

"The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs" (McConnell)

The Reid book explains training/learning theory really well. The McConnell book drives home the point that human/primate communication is fundamentally different from canine communication and what can be done to bridge the differences.

Those are both books that you could read cover to cover, pick it up a year later and read it again, and absorb more info. Highly recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page