I am failing my dog please help....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I am failing my dog please help.......

I have a 4.5 month old GSD male puppy who is very energetic loving and smart. I got him when he was 3.5 months old from a friend who couldn't take care of him.
1. Basic training has been very good, eating from his own bowl only, sit, stand, laydown, come here... etc.
2. I have one really big problem with him, as soon as I leave the room for only a few minutes I come back to pee puddles on the floor, he does not do this while I am in the room though. He holds his poops until he goes outside but the pee problem has been tremendously overwhelming. I have run out of ideas on what to do. I leash him, i take away the freedom of the house so he doesn't go on the floors. Whenever we walk outside and he pees i give him a treat and praise him and as soon as hes home and some time passes and i step out he goes and pees on the floor.

I feel like I am failing this dog and I am trying my best to do the best training and support possible. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

I would either put him in the crate or leash him to you so he is not left unattended until he is house broken
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Master Member

Oh you are not failing your pup! Sometimes it is good to be hard on yourself I can understand that. He has not been with you long and learned a bad habit, you can fix this.

Does the pup have a crate?
Are you controlling the water intake?
Is he peeing in the same spot? Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner to clean it.
It will get better as long as you continue to work at with some minor adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

He ends up peeing/pooping in his crate when he can't hold it especially when he has diarrhea. Please help me out
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:33 AM

This is what I did for all my shepherds:

As a puppy they can?t hold their pee and poop for long. But like humans, most pups are clean. Get a crate, let him sleep there. Let him realize that the crate is his room, his space. Once he gets use to the crate, leave him in there and every few hours let him out to go potty then put him back in. This will also teach crate command for him. Your dog will start trying to hold his potty because he?ll know that this is where he sleeps. They don?t want to pee and poop in their room/bed. But just be sure to let them out every few hours and tell them to go pee or go poop. If they don?t after 15 mins, put them back in and try again in 30mins to and hour. Eventually you?re dog will learn to hold it.

You?re not failing your pup, relax dogs don?t come potty trained (unless already trained). Don?t be hard on yourself, this is normal! I?m sure there?s other ways but this has what always worked for me. Also like others said, don?t leave him unsupervised freely until he?s house broken.
kpdennis likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 AM
Elite Member

How frequently are you taking him outside to toilet him?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 AM
Master Member

A 4.5 month old puppy should hold its pee for over an hour. If he has diarrhea then there is something wrong.

Does he have seperation anxiety?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Knighted Member

First thing you should do is take a few deep breaths and calm down! You're not failing your puppy, and he's not being bad. As @holland said keep him on a leash and with you at all times, take him out to potty frequently. If he's pooping and peeing in his crate you are leaving him in there too long. Manage his environment for success. Don't think of it as restricting him, think of it more as helping him learn. He's not trying to be bad, he's simply relieving himself, so don't punish him. Just calmly teach him the desired behaviour! And as @Apex1 said, be sure to thoroughly clean any previous accidents with an enzyme cleaner to kill any lingering odor.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM

my female learned something I had not intended for her to learn. If she wet her crate she got to go outside. This was even if she had already been outside. It took me a few days to figure out that going outside was a reward for peeing in her crate. As soon as I started cleaning the crate and putting her right back in, that stopped her wetting the crate. I also set a timer so that I was always reminded to take her out regularly.

My big boy didn't have that problem but he used to come and grab our pant legs, socks and shoes. We thought he was asking us to play rough but he was really telling us he needed to go outside. A few accidents taught us what he was trying to say. I started using a timer to make certain he was no longer having to wait until the last minute to go out.

bottom line, see if for some reason you have accidentally reinforced the behavior or missed a signal.
tim_s_adams likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by car2ner; 10-14-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Hi How often are you walking him? Does this only happen when you go in your room for bed or is it at random times?

Keep an eye on his water intake and make sure you know how long he can hold it for and maybe increase his walks.

Poor baby if he has Diarrhea - is he eating anything he shouldn't? Does he seem stressed?

I am a huge fan of crate training if its done right. Make sure you put things he loves in there. Padded bed, favorite toys, shirts that smell like you - make sure is the right size. Make the crate so comfy that he wants to hang out in there even when its not bedtime.

Lastly, you care about your puppy enough to come on here so take it one day at a time!

----------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page