How did your teach your dog the competition heel and why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

How did your teach your dog the competition heel and why?

This is one thing I have not been able to train my dog yet. He walks pretty much right by my side without pulling with the "let's go" command that I taught him with a prong on, which is great for casual walks. However, I really want to teach him the focused/competition heel that I see in Schutzhund/IPO trials. I just can't seem to figure out which method works best for him. His "out" still isn't 100%, so I'm only using food rewards for training for now. He isn't very good motivated, but I've found that if I withold half his meal and use the food engagement tips from Michael Ellis's Advanced Concepts in Motivation dvd, he will work for food. I want to know what methods other people have used, and why or why not they worked or didn't work for your dog specifically.

These are the most common methods I've found:
Free shaping with a target such as as paper plate
Luring with a target such as a paper plate
Luring without a target

And how long did it take your dog to learn the behavior? Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

I hold a ball under my arm. Start be having him sit next to me. I say my command. He looks up, i drop the ball.

As soon as he knows to look at me, I take a step.
Then progress from there.
Femfa and Misha111 like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

A target on the ground isn't what I would do. That would draw attention to the ground, away from you. Its probably the same as Cloud, but to use a toy as a target on you, the dog has to really want the toy and learn to maintain controlled focus on it to get it. It was a little over 2 mos before I ever took a step, but this is the basic sequence of what I did. It all begins with that capping in an attentive sit, and then I step into position. Later on you add drills where he finds the position.
Mudypoz, Femfa, Misha111 and 1 others like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
A target on the ground isn't what I would do. That would draw attention to the ground, away from you. Its probably the same as Cloud, but to use a toy as a target on you, the dog has to really want the toy and learn to maintain controlled focus on it to get it. It was a little over 2 mos before I ever took a step, but this is the basic sequence of what I did. It all begins with that capping in an attentive sit, and then I step into position. Later on you add drills where he finds the position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2axsIrtXV2Q
I'm not pretty like you to make a video

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Reading this thread, I had a 'doh' moment. Have been trying to lure my pup into position but as she will sell her soul for play and a ball, definitely going to change my approach.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I'm not pretty like you to make a video
Careful, don't go commenting on my structure now. Appreciate the dog! Lol.
cloudpump likes this.

Doc

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

So the general consensus seems to be to teach the dog the "sit at my left side" position, then walking forward, and then introute pivots and finding the position? Most of the videos I've watched and articles I've read started out teaching the dog to keep it's head up and pivot on a target, then find the position, then pivot with you, and then walk forward, backward, to the sides, increase distance, etc. Has no one else done this method, or does teaching the position first seem to work better?

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

*then introduce pivots...

Won't let me edit post on my phone

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
[url]
We are working on that now by ourselves. Your video showed me what I'm doing wrong. I introduced fuss right away and he could not control himself. He wanted the ball immediately. Our trainer has us working more in drive than we used to, but for this, I need to go back to capping for calm attention. Why do you put the toy on your shoulder before releasing it? How do you keep him from moving from position to grab the toy? Mine wants to catch it and get away from me so I can't Aus it.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Irregardless of how you begin movement, your dog needs to understand the position and be able to maintain the focus. I didn't exactly work on pivoting till a lot later and I did it sort of like an extension of left boxes and left circles.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page