Bathroom transitioning from grass to concrete - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Bathroom transitioning from grass to concrete

Hi,

My baby is 10 months old and I recently moved to a apartment with a big balcony and terrace. He is used to do his business on grass but I want him to use the balcony (it has tiles) because there are a lot of cats outside and it is a nightmare everytime I take him out for bathroom break. He is extremely strong, 90 pounds, big bone, almost too strong for me to control him when he sees a cat. Any tips on how to teach him how to use the balcony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Teach him to pee on command, then give him the command on the balcony. This is how I get my boy to pee on any surface I need him to, but he's been taught both a pee and poop command since day 1. If he has to pee he will eventually pee. Only take him to go pee there for a few days and watch like a hawk to make sure he doesn't go inside from trying to hold it all day till he pees.

However I would really suggest using puppy pads or some other type of potty surface out there. Just because it's tile doesn't mean it's sanitary, unless you are washing your balcony daily it's going to totally wreak of pee in a few trips.

Last edited by Odd1Out; 08-17-2017 at 07:04 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

So because of cats, your dog will never see grass again?

90lbs for 10 month old? IMO that sounds overweight.
carmspack likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM

You need to learn how to control the dog. Find a local dog trainer to help you. That dog won't get enough exercise on a balcony...
Mary Beth likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

I think your solution to have the dog pee and poop on the balcony is horrible .

The tenant above or below should not need to have lingering scent or run off or failed cleaning up after - frozen
turds thawing in the spring.

TRAIN your dog - no matter where you will be living you have to have control. The dog can not exist within the confines of the typical shoe box sized apartment . He needs exercise and yes 90 pounds is over weight .

Ask the management of the building if you can erect a pre-fab kennel kit 10 X 10 easy to assemble , and take down at a momemts notice . Put some shavings or sod down -- shavings very easy to keep clean - just keep scooping and replacing .

If this were a min pin or some tiny lap dog I could see a kiddie pool with some pads or even shavings in the pool as acceptable --- hygiene so important

a big GSD type - no way -- pee pads are not cheap -- train the dog

you now have to go out of your way to accommodate the dogs physical and social needs , which means a lot of walking

dog on the balcony barking at people coming and going - the activity on the neighbouring balconies -- how long before you get a complaint ?

may not be the right time to own this dog . Life throws curve balls .
Jax08 and MineAreWorkingline like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 08-17-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:41 PM

At best it's a bandaid, but sometimes you need a quick fix when starting with a much larger problem. Pee pads are expensive but would hopefully not be a long term arrangement. I took the question as only potty breaks not the dog never goes outside, maybe that assumption is wrong.

Yes dog needs training, but in the mean time dog still needs to pee. Yes dog is probably over weight, needs exercise, and needs a qualified trainer to get it under control, but it's not going to get under control in the next 2 hours dog is probably going to have to pee in 2 hours though.

Your landlord is not going to be happy if the dog is just going out on the balcony, tile or no tile. Pee doesn't just evaporate like water there needs to be something to dispose of it hygenicly. Your neighbors are going to complain if it smells (that was me last year with my neighbors Chihuahua). Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Probably not but that's no one else's judgement call.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
So because of cats, your dog will never see grass again?

90lbs for 10 month old? IMO that sounds overweight.
Ok first of all I never said he would never see grass again. I just can't get him outside when the cats are there. Second, he is a Czech GSD Big bone and he is not overweight, we take him to the vet on a regular basis. Thanks you.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
You need to learn how to control the dog. Find a local dog trainer to help you. That dog won't get enough exercise on a balcony...
I should've mention the Balcony is very big, he can run and play.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
Balcony its pretty big. But yeah I need to tell the trainer to help me deal with the cat issue.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd1Out View Post
Teach him to pee on command, then give him the command on the balcony. This is how I get my boy to pee on any surface I need him to, but he's been taught both a pee and poop command since day 1. If he has to pee he will eventually pee. Only take him to go pee there for a few days and watch like a hawk to make sure he doesn't go inside from trying to hold it all day till he pees.

However I would really suggest using puppy pads or some other type of potty surface out there. Just because it's tile doesn't mean it's sanitary, unless you are washing your balcony daily it's going to totally wreak of pee in a few trips.
Pee pads is an option but he wont do it, he is very used to the grass and I really would like him to learn to pee in any kind of surface.

Thanks, I will mention this to his trainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page