Opening doors Pro Vs Con - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thecowboysgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Opening doors Pro Vs Con

Hello!
I'm a lurker on here and would like some imput. I have a 12 week old black german shepherd. He is very food motivated and a good learner. Well yesterday he figured out he can open our lever doors by jumping up and pawing at the doors. The doors he can open lead into our bedrooms and the bathrooms. We have been trying to decide if this is a good thing or not. He cant open outside doors since they arent the same knobs but at another house he gets puppy sat at has lever doors that lead outdoors. I suppose we can teach him to open them only on command or only at our house, but hes obviously still a puppy and can be naughty/curious. He hasn't opened any doors today and I wont be encouraging it until we decide. Please let me know what you think I should be doing or any experiences you have had with this. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Master Member

I think whether or not you encourage it, he's going to do it if it gets him something he wants. Dogs are kind of selfish that way. My girl does the same, and my family dog back at my mom's house will also open those style of doors if it suits his needs (like if we take too long to let him back in or out, haha). If you're really worried, I'd look into baby door locks and the like. Once he learns he can't do it, the behaviour eventually stops. But if anything, unless his purpose is as a service dog, opening doors sounds like a fun way to get into trouble when no one is around.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

So far he has only done it when he heard me getting his food behind a closed door and one other time when I left him in a different room and closed the door to see if he would stay put or try and open the door again. I think for now I'll just put that on the backburner and discourage the behavior because he isn't going to be a service dog and at the age he is **** just make trouble in the doors I have closed to keep him out. He did start jumping on a different door to try and open that and I also don't want him scratching up all my doors. He is my first gsd and I can't believe the rate that he learns stuff. He's going to training in a week so hopefully well learn some more constructive ways for him to challenge him as far as tricks/keeping him busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:46 PM

My Carly has opened doors since she was young. She's 7 and still opens doors, and I have round doorknobs!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

I had a shepherd in the past who could open round doorknobs.

My boy now is no dope. He can open wire crates without bending or damaging them. I don't know how he does it. But he knows how to unlatch them. He can open our new walk thru baby gates, and he can open the screen door on our RV. So the kid has some skill.

I bought him an Impact crate for the truck so I don't have to worry about him letting himself out in some unsafe place, and also can lock him to protect him from humans.

He is always kennelled if I am not home and that's one door he hasn't gotten and likely won't, it's a horse stall latch on the outside of chain link so I can't really see how he would open that, although it does have a spot for a clip or a lock
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

with regard to your question no I don't think it is a good thing.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM

It's a cute trick, but a pain and a potential danger. Carly can open doors, gates, crates. I use padlocks and clips, but the doorknob thing is the hardest to stop. She's lost interest in opening doors lately, which is nice.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page