LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Crate training a Trauma Dog (rescue)

Lil is estimated to be 4 yrs old.
She may (or may not) have been raised in a shelter
She has no training, no manners, not housebroken

I started slow and calm, she went in on own, laid in it. Didn't close door
Next time lured her in closed it and hung around, did dishes, made dinner etc. No issue
Next time I lured her in, spent 15 mins of so doing stuff, going in and out of kitchen (where crate is)...then I went out for 2 hrs. Came home all was calm
Next time same routine....went out for 5 hrs. Signs she had some issues...crate was moved 6" and pulled table runner and pushed chair that was near
Next time got harder to get her in...but did, except home, mowed lawn, made dinner, ate in other room while she was in crate. No sounds
Two of the times I left she shredded bedding.
Bought her kong treat dispenser

Then this past Friday, started new job. I woke to her honking kinda cough...I am in panic. I also step in pee, so my morning is mess...Friend was coming at 1pm to walk her and spend time with. She came for 930 am.
Lil would not go near her all day (no more coughing)
Sunday, work....had to force her into crate. No choice, wouldn't fall for treats. Friend was coming for 1pm. Got here. Lil had unlatched the top (not bottom), bent the frame a bit and squeezed out.
She was on the sofa when friend arrived.

She now has separation anxiety, and crate trauma.
I have to work today.

She is being kenneled at the vet for the day. Vet called this morning and offered an adapto (sp.?) collar...if they have in stock that will go on her. If not, tomorrow.

I am off next two days, then work Fri, Sat, Sun,...will be gone 9 hrs each day

I need to make the most of next two days....HELP!!!!
(note: I also bought lavender spray - from a lavender farm, not some commercial product...and I am going to start Ashwagandha)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Can you put her in a sturdy outdoor kennel with shelter while you work? That would allow you to start over with crate training and housebreaking and not have to crate her longer than she could tolerate to start?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

You are not going to fix this inew 2 days...no way, no how
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

Do you feed her in the crate? I leave the crate door open for them to eat, always. It's where good stuff happens.

When dogs bust out of wire crates, we shift to airline crates. If they shred bedding, they lose the bedding. Simply diffusing some calming EO (like Aura Cacia's Mellow Mix) helps some dogs.

How did she do on the couch, when she busted out and was alone? Maybe she'd do okay if confined to the kitchen or some area with tile in case she goes potty?
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

you mentioned this before and I would recommend this .

Ashwagandha

An adaptogen -- but so much more - which will benefit this stressed dog , who is stressed in all ways possible , body, healing crisis and emotional .

Ashwagandha will increase immune function enabling removal of bacteria and co-infectious material which I would not discount .

The tick is NOT the only vector for lyme and bartonella and babesiosis and other co infections.

the longer the immune system has been in poor shape the more open it is to infection !

Ashwagandha is also an anti oxidant , anti inflammatory and important for an animal in major detox , a support for liver.

Ashwagandha can help increase oxygen carrying red blood cells -- aid in digestion --- calm down that adrenalized state which keeps the animal in a high-alert , immune fatiguing condition.

Benefiting stressed and anxious animals , slightly sedative ,

st. Francis herb has a good tincture . Organic Traditions has a powdered version . Both are available at your local
health food store (or on-line)

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

Anti-inflammatory + oxygenator sounds really good for a dog with HW disease. The lungs and pulmonary blood vessels often have an major inflammatory response to the worms and the bacteria they carry.
carmspack likes this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

yes, the worms and the bacteria they carry -- metabolites (waste products of the same)

schizandra is outstanding for respiratory and is also anti anxiety , balancing the central nervous system, like ashwagandha slightly sedative , and has some anti microbial actions in being a "blood cleaner".

you can get tincture -- or I have both whole berry and powder in my collection

I also have ashwagandha powder -- and astragulus (brew an asian broth with mushrooms).

western medicine is so lacking -- integrative is the best of all worlds.

basically the dog needs to be addressed as restoring proper function to 3 body systems (excluding nervous which will adjust )

these are the 3 under siege at this moment

circulatory
digestive
and lymphatic - that care for liver and spleen !
GatorBytes likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Anti-inflammatory + oxygenator sounds really good for a dog with HW disease. The lungs and pulmonary blood vessels often have an major inflammatory response to the worms and the bacteria they carry.

Yes! And that is why I ordered Carmen's products and I am making a new bone stock right now....she has been getting for 12 days + had her 16 days. The Feed-sentials mix is ant-inflamm and an oxygenator...I used burdock root (in FS) along with red clover, and is known as a blood purifier...

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 08-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
yes, the worms and the bacteria they carry -- metabolites (waste products of the same)

schizandra is outstanding for respiratory and is also anti anxiety , balancing the central nervous system, like ashwagandha slightly sedative , and has some anti microbial actions in being a "blood cleaner".

you can get tincture -- or I have both whole berry and powder in my collection

I also have ashwagandha powder -- and astragulus (brew an asian broth with mushrooms).

western medicine is so lacking -- integrative is the best of all worlds.

basically the dog needs to be addressed as restoring proper function to 3 body systems (excluding nervous which will adjust )

these are the 3 under siege at this moment

circulatory
digestive
and lymphatic - that care for liver and spleen !

I have used Ash and astragalus both from the (uh hem..cleat throat), holistic vet...G started raw and that (ash came later, whole long story of that was helpful)...But after 6 months he looked gorgeous. slim, shed 15-20 lbs......AND I have St. Francis, AND she will be started on it tonight with her night snack, Bison canned tripe, feed-sentials and her crap kibble (she LOVES kibble)

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Starting tomorrow morning...

How do I start crate training over.

Tonight she gets Ash, she has the adapto collar on, I have lavender spray and rose geranium for crate (or bandana...got her really cool one, pink with flowers and skulls (lol) (conventional vet suggested latter for calming, I was impressed! I had bought it for ticks)

I start my day at 6-630am work or not...I get coffee, and go on deck with pooch.
Go get ready, we go for fair to good walk depending, she loves walks...she may or may not poop...I have stuff to do that requires I leave and she is crated..

Where do I go from there, starting our day...To make this a positive..games? Feeding in crate her snack tonight BTW (Thanks Magwart)...I fed her last night on deck while I tried to mow lawn...she watched, she ate...she is afraid of lawnmowers if people start near her. First I had her watch me go get it...I sat with her on deck. Then leashed her and had do lap around house and sniff to our back yard, the mower. Sat with her and tethered her on deck, to be safe and mowed part of lawn away from her...

So with that in mind...I can take my time with...but have to go out..2 days to get my stuff done and hers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page