Two Week Shutdown? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Two Week Shutdown?

Hi all, I might be getting a young dog, WGWL just over a year old. Though even if that dog does not work out, I thought I'd ask anyways as it is always good info to have. When I had first brought home my current GSD (she was 3 yrs old) I had not heard about the two week shutdown. But from what I have now learned, it really helps the dog decompress when coming to a new home.

Anyways, how exactly does it work? Is it better the cage used for the new dog be in its own room, out of sight? Should the dog only be out when actively working with it, or is it good to have the dog leashed and beside my while I am at the computer, for example? How many times should the dog be worked with per day, aside from coming out to do its business?

I do not plan to let the dog interact too much with my current dog until we start to create a bond between ourselves first. I also do not plan to start taking the dog out for walks right away, I plan to work on building focus/engagement between us before moving onto any more distracting environments. I don't want to give the dog too many chances to think that I am not the coolest thing out there, lol.

This dog was well started off as far as I can tell by discussing with the owner and is crate trained, lives in the home. I am just worried about managing time in crate vs out. I have never got such a young dog before not have I implemented two week shut down before.

Thanks for any insight! Seems like the more you learn, the more things there are to worry about, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

There are different thoughts on kennel placement. A lot of people prefer putting it in a room out of the way. I actually put mine in the middle of the house, so that the new dog is seeing our daily routine and absorbing it all. My dogs know not to mess with the foster dog in the crate, so they'll just ignore it until they've been introduced. If your existing dog is going to mess with the new one in the crate, then I'd put the crate somewhere the where that won't happen.

During this time, I put my dogs in another part of the house when I have the new one out, and the new one stays leashed to me. I'm not "working with" the dog in any formal way during this period. It's just getting to know me. I often take them into the kitchen with me to make dinner, or have them next to me when I'm at the computer. It's "watch me" time. They are never out of the crate and not leashed though -- either DH or I has the leash when the new dog is out, even when it's just hanging out in the house. It makes potty training a breeze, since they can't sneak off to go in a corner. We keep a pouch or pocket full of good treats and randomly drop them too when we're hanging out -- good stuff comes from hanging out next to the human!

Don't stress about it. You can crate-and-rotate with your personal dog for a short time pretty easily, or just keep them in different parts of the house. People often think the shut-down means locking the dog in a crate for two weeks, and that's just a gross misunderstanding -- the dog is out quite regularly, but it's leashed, not interacting with other dogs/kids/visitors etc.
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-03-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Elite Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Hi hylia & WELCOME!

Here are some articles and threads that might help!

Decompression ? The Two Week Shutdown | Looking Glass Animal Rescue

The Two-Week Shut Down | Pibbles & More Animal Rescue

This was an older dog in this thread. Folks had great ideas for this OP: Rescuing my first Dog this weekend!

Also good reading: "Rethinking Popular Early Socialization": rethinking "popular" early socialization

Moms
car2ner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page