Please help me figure out the American dog training world - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Please help me figure out the American dog training world

Hi, it seems my husband and I are moving to the US in a few months. Of course I would like to do something with dogs, probably eventually work as a dog trainer, but I have a few questions.
First, after reading many articles, forums etc it looks like the American dog training scene is dominated by force free trainers and they are so loud that in the eyes of the public using any kind of correction is abuse and unnecessary. I don't believe in force free methods, I think they are not as efficient as balanced training and everything is achieved much slower. Of course there is something to learn from every method, but in general I don't like force free methods. If I want to use a balanced method, is it going to be a lonely battle against the crowd, or will I find supporters? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

The other question is what would be the best way to get into the profession? I have some experience with problematic dogs and I also volunteered in a professional working dog kennel, but I still feel like I would need to work under an experienced trainer before I work on my own. Can you recommend anybody around Williston, Fl who I can work with, even as a volunteer at first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM

It isn't a stupid question at all. You can find good trainers if you look around long enough. I'd check with the sporting clubs first. They might be able to help you find trainers who are more balanced. Often they will begin with reward base and won't use compulsion until they are sure that the dog understands what is wanted. It is not fair to correct a dog for what it doesn't know.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I agree. I think rewards are awesome tools, but can't solve everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

See if you can start out volunteering at a city dog shelter (or a rescue), helping with rehab and making dogs adoption-ready. I know a good trainer who built his business on the reputation he built working with shelter dogs -- and offering free training to people fostering dogs. Adopters were always referred to him and over time, and it built a big word-of-mouth referral network for paid clients, based on the good results he achieved through his volunteer work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page