Jumping...help!?!?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bonnie&Clyde

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Jumping...help!?!?!

While these 2 look very docile in this photo.....oh the JUMPING ! Bonnie (the Sable) is 7 months and 58 lbs. Clyde (the black and tan) is 4 months and 50 lbs. That's 108 lbs of puppy energy jumping on me ! I've tried turning my back, ignoring until they calm. I've done the knee thing to deter. I've pushed down with my hand.....all these while saying DOWN. I've even tried the old technique of a rolled up newspaper - to little success. My torso looks like I've been in a fight with a weed eater. I'm 5' 5" and Bonnie is every bit of 5' when up on her hind legs, Clyde 5' 3". What else can I try?

Both are awesome GSDs.....so smart, willing to learn (except jumping) and working as a team. The practice 'trust but verify' and the minute they get a verification from us they are spot on. Great with new meetings...so very gentle with my 81 year old dad and our 5 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old grandsons....but with me it's an all out love fest, being more reserved with my husband.

The strange thing to me is they are spot on with other commands, sit...come....ok...shake...walk. They just will not comply with 'down' and 'no jump'.

I don't want to use shock collars because we are about to start the invisible If you look at our property from an aerial view, our fencing looks like a horseshoe (2 houses inside the inner fence (ours and my dad's).....outer perimeter fencing, with another round of interior fence designed to keep livestock in the pastures, and not in our yards and on our porches. The driveway gate completes the outer fence. The invisible fence will be to keep Bonnie and Clyde in the most inner fencing (houses and yard) but deter them from leaving the gate as we open it to drive in and out.

I know I've rambled on. They are awesome dogs....just have to find the technique that works for the jumping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 25, 2017.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	421929  

Jill

Bonnie Belle Von Nikheim
Clyde Whitfield Von Gittheim

Gone but never forgotten:
Max
Rudolph
Cotton
Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

I'm looking forward to answers on this one... Kaiser has only just recently learned to jump so it wasn't an issue before, but now at 6.5months he's realised if he jumps he is taller than my son and almost as tall as me... he consistently gets told sternly "off" but he it is usually when he is excited that we have come home from work/school.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 AM
Master Member

If they're great with other commands, then command them to sit before they have any interaction with you. It's hard for a dog to jump on you if they're sitting down. Alternatively you can keep a drag leash, and any time they come near and look like they're going to jump, put your foot on the leash so they can't jump up on you. Eventually it should fade through extinction, but if they're allowed to do it just once it takes even longer to stop it. IMO it's really more about teaching them an appropriate way to greet you.

If you get happy when you see them, get high pitched, or love on them as they do it or give attention while it happens, then it reinforces it or encourages it. I know with my SIL's dog I simply ignore her when I come in. I wait until she's calm and sits down near me before I give attention, otherwise she'll try and jump on me.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:31 AM
Elite Member

My breeder once told me to hug the dog tight if it jumps up on you. They don't like being confined in that position & will catch on that jumping up on you results in an uncomfortable reaction. And in no way are you doing anything that isn't nice to the animal ... it's a big hug. I personally never had a dog that needed this "training" but can see how it might work. Good luck!

Garrison - GSD
Cupid - terrier mix (shelter rescue)
Stella Artois - lab/boxer (?) mix (shelter rescue)
Saranac - Siberian Husky
3 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 cockatiel
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM

The sit command usually works well for excited jumpers.Never heard of the hug technique!Sounds worth a try!Sometimes when excited jumping dogs hear "down or no jump" when they are doing so,it translates to a command to jump more.
Samson will jump if I acknowledge him at all when he's greeting me.Ignoring him and avoiding eye contact for a minute or so was our solution.Letting him out of his kennel is also super exciting for him.So I stand by the gate,no eye contact,no talking,and within a few seconds he sits down calmly and will trot out calmly when released.So basically zero attention until both dogs offer calm behavior.My girl doesn't jump often but she still vibrates with excitement and of course they feed off of each other.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

We had tried the no touch no eye contact most friends and family come over. Max will be contained with excitement while behaving but busting at the seams for some attention. If he gets some love when he is not jumping he is content and there is no jumping. I have to watch him not to jump on people when he is ignored. I can either put him away or leash him till he calms down works best. Also another thing I give his ball I guess the excitement is transferred squishing his ball it always works.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Knighted Member

Part of it is going to be their ages. They are just so excited and the impulse control isn't there yet. I can share what worked for me with my dog.

I greet very quietly and calmly: "Hi, Dog'sname." Then I'd remind her, "Four paws" (or "off" or whatever your command is - I don't use "down" because that means something different in our dictionary). If she kept four on the floor, she'd get calm praise for, "Good four paws. Good girl" and I'd keep petting her. If she jumped, I'd turn and hip check and say firmly, "FOUR PAWS." Lather, rinse, repeat. That's all it took for me, with a healthy amount of patience; she learned very fast what I wanted but actually following through was harder for an excited puppy. I like the idea of replacing the behavior with a "sit" in general, but I didn't mind her dancing around me as long as she wasn't jumping, and it was easier for her to just remember not to jump than it was to sit when she was so excited. (Keep in mind she was about 3-4 months old when I was doing this work, and she knew "sit" but it was SO HARD TO SIT STILL when The Human came home.)

The key is to not make it a party when you come home/in/over to them. You're happy to see them, who wouldn't be, but it isn't a dance party with a mosh pit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I tried something new yesterday. When I greeted them and let them out into the entire property- we have 4 acres totally fenced, but keep them confined to a smaller area of property close to our houses (ours and my Dad's) during the night - I opened the gate and immediately turned my back and started walking away while saying "Walk". After we walked about 15 feet, I stopped, bent down, petted and praised both, not allowing them to jump.

Today, same thing. As of this afternoon, they will run up, start to rise up, and immediately return all 4 paws to the ground.

I think we may be on the right path and found what works for these 2. They are super smart and so willing to please and learn.
dogma13, KaiserAus and ksdilli like this.

Jill

Bonnie Belle Von Nikheim

Max
Rudolph
Cotton
Missy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Elite Member

I glad you found something that works...

I need to find something that will work for all of us, I don't see the hugging technique being a good option with my skinny 9 year old, haha, Kaiser would just knock him over or run away with him, lol.
I've always found the ignore works well - like when he was little and jumping in his crate to get out, he knows he has to sit still to be let out. And it works well if he is outside and I won't open the door until he is sitting and calm... but then he comes rushing into the house, straight to the 9 year old (who is his favourite play mate) and jumps on him... any suggestions for what a 9 year old can do when the dog is jumping and the same size as him?

I've got the 9 year doing some basic training with Kaiser, he also feeds him and he is the one who plays with Kaiser the most. Kaiser does see him more as a play mate than someone that is in command.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

That's the funniest part of our 2 pups. My husband and I are the two they want to jump on and go crazy with. My Dad, who is 81 years old, lives on the property with us (in his own house). They are extremely gentle with him - never once jumping. They actually walk up to him and sit down, or fall in right beside him if he's walking.

Same goes for our 2 grandsons. They are 5 1/2 and 1 1/2. The most gentle dogs ever.

With me, more so than my husband, it's an all out love fest attack. My new tactic seems to be working. I hope it continues. I don't mind them dancing around our feet excited - I mean they are puppies - but the jumping at their size and weight, we can't have.

I've laughed and said if I were to have to go to the ER they would swear someone has attacked me with a weed eater.

Jill

Bonnie Belle Von Nikheim

Max
Rudolph
Cotton
Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page