• 7 Post By wolfy dog
  • 3 Post By Baillif
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Testing me or trying a new game?

The other day Deja didn't come back with her toy after I threw it for her but just stood there at a distance, toy in her mouth and watching me. The first time of refusal I called her back with the command "Bring!"(as a reminder) that I taught her form day 1. The second time she found the toy and watched me I knew she had found a new game that I wanted to nip in the bud so I didn't say anything, not even the reminder as we had played this game for three years. So I went inside and left her alone outside with her toy. Half a minute later (they don't watch the clock) I went back out side and she came without me having to call her, body and ears low and quietly released the toy, which I put away without "discussing the issue any further".
Half an hour later I was super curious to see if she had learned her lesson and voila, great returns and she hasn't pulled this trick again.
Other test: she brings me her empty bowl after she is done eating and waits until I take it from her, after which she gets a treat. Then lately, she had become sloppy and dumped the bowl at my feet on the floor so I told her "Bring" after which she did it well. The next time she dropped the bowl (and I was prepared this time), I picked it up without saying anything, put it away and no treats for sloppy performance, no discussing it. Again, she hasn't dropped the bowl since.
This shows that only one negative can teach them fine but you have to do it before it has become a new habit.
A fellow trainer once said, "If you reward 'sloppy', you get (from the dog) 'sloppy'!"
Yeah, I outsmarted my smartie!! I love this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Master Member

It's amazing how powerful a "non-reaction" can be for training - as in seeing poor/defiant behaviour, not engaging it, and then waiting for the appropriate behaviour after some time has settled. Good thinking and way to nip it in the bud.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:31 AM
Elite Member

Well done for spotting it and not creating a new game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

I deal with stuff like that differently. If I create a bring it back command that is enforced through a correction if need be. If I ask for it it is not optional. If I do see that the dog wants to play keep away I will indulge that too. We can be playing fetch and all of a sudden I stop calling for it and just run at them to take it and they run off with it growling at me daring me to try to get it. Sometimes you can wear a dog out just by letting him hold it run circles around you and occasionally pretending to take it to keep the dog going. If the dog enjoys keep away more than fetch games then I'll even spend more time playing that game. If it is about exercising and entertaining the dog or rewarding the dog I'll do the game the dog enjoys not necessarily the one I do.
misfits, Chip18 and GypsyGhost like this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
I deal with stuff like that differently. If I create a bring it back command that is enforced through a correction if need be. If I ask for it it is not optional. If I do see that the dog wants to play keep away I will indulge that too. We can be playing fetch and all of a sudden I stop calling for it and just run at them to take it and they run off with it growling at me daring me to try to get it. Sometimes you can wear a dog out just by letting him hold it run circles around you and occasionally pretending to take it to keep the dog going. If the dog enjoys keep away more than fetch games then I'll even spend more time playing that game. If it is about exercising and entertaining the dog or rewarding the dog I'll do the game the dog enjoys not necessarily the one I do.
Sounds more fun for the dog than for me right now as I am battling a sciatic nerve issue I think playing keep away with her would be fun but then she would get the cue to do it. Good idea anyways. I did something similar before the injury by tapping her side while bending over sideways like dogs do who want to engage in play and we both enjoyed that. Darn sciatica; ruins a lot of fun
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Elite Member

I really liked this as I recently gave my boy the silent treatment. It worked great basically left him with his jaw dropped and a what just happened look. Thanks for the chuckle.
wolfy dog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I really liked this as I recently gave my boy the silent treatment. It worked great basically left him with his jaw dropped and a what just happened look. Thanks for the chuckle.
That is exactly how she looked. Kinda like, "What the **** is happening right now?" It feels so good to outsmart a GSD.
Heartandsoul likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page