Off Leash K9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 78
Off Leash K9

Hi Everyone!

I was just curious what are your guys thoughts on off leash K9 training. I've been trying to research them but I only see things on their board which is something I'm not interested in. I'm mainly interested in their basic and advance training. I've seen their videos on the two week board program and it's amazing but I don't want to pay $2300 to have someone train my dog. I prefer to learn it.

Also if you guys know any good trainers in Riverside CA, please recommend me some! I'm trying to look for some and I can't find much. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond Custodio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Master Member
 
Dracovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 529
A reputable obedience trainer should be able to help you with this, it's one of the basics. Off leash reliability is great, but you should always keep the law in mind and don't break it even if your dog is obedient.

Do you have a GSD? Perhaps contact your local GSD club(s) and ask for recommendations. Plenty of trainers will have good reviews when they train easy pets, but a trainer that is reputable with working dog clubs will likely know how to handle strong willed dogs, which is important with of leash training.
Dracovich is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
A reputable obedience trainer should be able to help you with this, it's one of the basics. Off leash reliability is great, but you should always keep the law in mind and don't break it even if your dog is obedient.



Do you have a GSD? Perhaps contact your local GSD club(s) and ask for recommendations. Plenty of trainers will have good reviews when they train easy pets, but a trainer that is reputable with working dog clubs will likely know how to handle strong willed dogs, which is important with of leash training.


Yeah I tried contacting some GSD clubs for advice and they tell me to try going to their club. I'm contacting Schutzhund clubs if that's what you mean by GSD clubs btw. As much as I want to do Schutzhund my schedule doesn't allow me to train with them as they only train Monday Wednesday and Sunday but I'm unavailable on Monday and wednesdays /:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond Custodio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Knighted Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Custodio View Post
Yeah I tried contacting some GSD clubs for advice and they tell me to try going to their club. I'm contacting Schutzhund clubs if that's what you mean by GSD clubs btw. As much as I want to do Schutzhund my schedule doesn't allow me to train with them as they only train Monday Wednesday and Sunday but I'm unavailable on Monday and wednesdays /:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only train with my club on Sundays. Most stuff except protection can be done at home or a park or somewhere. Use the club to learn what to do then work obedience at home. Use Sundays to get critiqued and learn new stuff to teach your dog. And protection. Just have fun with it.
Deb likes this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
cdwoodcox is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I only train with my club on Sundays. Most stuff except protection can be done at home or a park or somewhere. Use the club to learn what to do then work obedience at home. Use Sundays to get critiqued and learn new stuff to teach your dog. And protection. Just have fun with it.


Haha lucky! I contacted my local club yesterday and they won't let me come by to even observe unless I can commit for mondays and Wednesday cause of their reputation. It's kinda ridiculous, they won't even let me watch. I'm a try to contact another club that's a few hours away from me but just to watch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond Custodio is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Elite Member
 
cloudpump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lyons NY
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
A reputable obedience trainer should be able to help you with this, it's one of the basics. Off leash reliability is great, but you should always keep the law in mind and don't break it even if your dog is obedient.

Do you have a GSD? Perhaps contact your local GSD club(s) and ask for recommendations. Plenty of trainers will have good reviews when they train easy pets, but a trainer that is reputable with working dog clubs will likely know how to handle strong willed dogs, which is important with of leash training.
Offleash k9 is the name of the trainer....
And my vet recommended off leash exercise. And he would know better than the law.
cloudpump is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Master Member
 
Dracovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Offleash k9 is the name of the trainer....
And my vet recommended off leash exercise. And he would know better than the law.
Yes but this does not mean you can walk your dog off leash anywhere you want, there are off leash areas FOR this. I volunteer at my local shelters and dogs impounded for violated leash laws are not given back to their owners, at kill shelters they will immediately euthanize them. I guess if you're willing to have your dog taken away from you, that's your choice.
Chip18 likes this.
Dracovich is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Offleash k9 is the name of the trainer....

And my vet recommended off leash exercise. And he would know better than the law.


Thanks for the clarification! Wasn't sure if he meant the trainer or the activity. Have you tried them before or know anywhere I can get information about them besides the reviews and videos of their two week board?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond Custodio is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
Yes but this does not mean you can walk your dog off leash anywhere you want, there are off leash areas FOR this. I volunteer at my local shelters and dogs impounded for violated leash laws are not given back to their owners, at kill shelters they will immediately euthanize them. I guess if you're willing to have your dog taken away from you, that's your choice.


lol I don't plan on taking him off leash in areas this is prohibited. I'm curious about their training techniques. They teach more than just off leash such as manners and obedience. I'm curious about. Off leash K9 is the name of the training company and yes they do teach off leash but I don't have intentions in going anywhere and taking him off the leash...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richmond Custodio is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Master Member
 
Dracovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Custodio View Post
lol I don't plan on taking him off leash in areas this is prohibited. I'm curious about their training techniques. They teach more than just off leash such as manners and obedience. I'm curious about. Off leash K9 is the name of the training company and yes they do teach off leash but I don't have intentions in going anywhere and taking him off the leash...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I missed the part where you were referring to this as a person/club. I am unfamiliar with their techniques, my response was about general off leash training.
Dracovich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome