Prong collars banned in Toronto - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Prong collars banned in Toronto

City council in Toronto quietly passed a law banning prong collars and the like much to the surprise of owners, trainers and the Canadian kennel club. So typical of overreacting government in action. Any suggestions of an alternative to use now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Master Member

Honestly I don't think that law enforcement will even care about this enough to get anyone for it.

I'm not suggesting breaking the law, but, you know, I kind of am with this tool:
Leerburg | Extended Strap Keeper Collars® Hidden Prong Collar with Snap

I'd suggest an alternative location :P I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the laws in Ontario all together.

Maybe I'm just a bad example though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM

If you live there, use a bandana over the prong collar. Chances of actually being fined are slim. The alternatives suggested are halti's, which are far more adversive and dangerous for most dogs.
My previous gsd suffered whiplash on a halti.
I've never had a dog injured or even upset with wearing a prong. All of them hated the halti (I have no clue why I keep experimenting).
Of course, you could try without, and just ALWAYS set your dog up for success. Never reward your dog for pulling (ie, stop walking the moment your dog pulls, don't resume until the dog gives you slack), never take your dog anywhere that the dog might be rewarded for pulling or lunging (so, don't go anywhere with squirrels, other dogs, cars, geese, that sort of thing) until your dog is 'ready' for that level of distraction...yeah, right.
Better yet, send an old fashioned snail mail letter objection to the City of Toronto Council requesting a change.
I'm lousy with words, still trying to think of what to do say.
In this article (toronto star), apparently, you shouldn't have a dog if you need a prong collar to control your dog. Wow. My 40 lb dog on a harness (why do I always get sucked in to trying the all positive way) permanently damaged the tendons in my left hand. He's a nice dog, but he did a fast dart towards the street and I panicked and grabbed the leash wrong...he hates halti's btw.
grump grump
theres a change.org petition too, but I think individual letters would be better.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM

there need to be more dog owners, intelligent dog owners, people who understand what dogs really are like, on these boards. Someone other than AR do gooders who -think- that they are saving animals.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Here's a link to a change.org petition, fairly well written, reasoned.
https://www.change.org/p/the-toronto...y-law-102-2017
Somewhere I saw a list on contacts for the City of Toronto council members, will add when found.
I just have the very strong feeling that the next ban will be province wide, and very quick.
Prong collars look vicious, it's hard to make a case FOR using them unless you can get everyone to present their bare arm for the experiment.
Video's of happy tail wagging engaged dogs? Maybe that would help.
Don't know. There are so many trainers, websites, 'experts' calling them instruments of torture. There is even one silly video of a trainer putting one on her neck and yipping ow ow ow as she gently touches the prong...either she's faking it or has some severe skin sensitivity, have no clue. I can wear my dogs prong comfortably (not recommended for social reasons).

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Master Member

For those local to Toronto, there is a closed FaceBook page called "Fight the Toronto Ban on Chain and Choke Collars".
islanddog likes this.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:45 PM

Just so it's all clear, the bylaw is 102-2017 City of Toronto.
Here is the sub-section we are objecting to (most of the above bylaw makes perfect sense as it pertains to dangerous dogs and tethering safety).
As you can see, the prong & choke collar ban was a surprise add-in, which is why it wasn't discussed earlier.

E.
By adding as a new section § 349-
8.1, the following:
§ 349-
8.1. Choke collar, choke chain, pronged collar.
A.
No person shall use a choke collar, choke chain, pronged collar or any
similar device at any time on a dog
B.
Subsection A does not apply to the use of a martingale collar on a dog

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Go to the e collar. Set on low or vibrate it is a great training device. Unless the pc idiots have banned that too. I would not live in such a place.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Go to the e collar. Set on low or vibrate it is a great training device. Unless the pc idiots have banned that too. I would not live in such a place.
Until 13 days ago, Toronto dog owners also didn't live in such a place
cloudpump likes this.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Okay, link to city of toronto councillors.
Council Members - Council Members - City Council | City of Toronto
Emails or letters should be polite and nice, a bit of a crap sandwich, as in 1st a sincere compliment (they really care about animal welfare, it is sincere), followed by your objections, finished with something nice, I need help with that last.
Also, probably an idea to bombard them with video's and pics of happy fun loving dogs wearing prong collars or choke chains. I'm not a fan of chokes, but, go figure, in agility, I use a slip lead, because it's easy on, easy off, this too would be banned.
Re: e-collars, I assure you, these will be next, they are currently banned from any City of Toronto Parks.
I'll be sending a link to my dog playing with me (and he's wearing a prong).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page