6 month old pup is vomiting during exercise/training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

6 month old pup is vomiting during exercise/training

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place so if not please let me know!

So I've been training Kaiser every Saturday morning for 2 hours and in between we'll go to the dog park and train and excercise.

I noticed Kaiser has been vomiting a green liquid during his exercise or training. He doesn't do this all the time but he has done it a few times already.

I feed him IAMs dry food as well as pedigree chicken wet food but I feed him an hour after his training exercise.

I was told it could be because of stress but Kaiser seems way to happy to be stressed when we're out. He loves doing the agility courses and he loves training with the other dogs as well so I don't know if it could be stressed? I can understand since there are a lot of dogs and a lot is going on but his tail is always wagging.

He would usually gag and keep is head down when it happens. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet but my trainer and a few other people have told me he's okay, he's just not use to this much exercise and to cut it down a bit?

Any thoughts or opinions? I trust my trainers since they specialize in training german shepherds especially but I'm just worried for my pup.

I do give him water during training to get him hydrated, not sure if this would cause it but again, he doesn't throw up all the time, just sometimes?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

How old is he? 2 hr sessions are a lot for a puppy. Did you ask your vet? Green doesn't sound good. Is he eating grass? That can make a dog vomit.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Custodio View Post

So I've been training Kaiser every Saturday morning for 2 hours and in between we'll go to the dog park and train and excercise.

I noticed Kaiser has been vomiting a green liquid during his exercise or training. He doesn't do this all the time but he has done it a few times already.

I feed him IAMs dry food as well as pedigree chicken wet food but I feed him an hour after his training exercise.

I was told it could be because of stress but Kaiser seems way to happy to be stressed when we're out. He loves doing the agility courses and he loves training with the other dogs as well so I don't know if it could be stressed? I can understand since there are a lot of dogs and a lot is going on but his tail is always wagging.

He would usually gag and keep is head down when it happens. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet but my trainer and a few other people have told me he's okay, he's just not use to this much exercise and to cut it down a bit?

Any thoughts or opinions? I trust my trainers since they specialize in training german shepherds especially but I'm just worried for my pup.

I do give him water during training to get him hydrated, not sure if this would cause it but again, he doesn't throw up all the time, just sometimes?

Thanks everyone!
Take him to the vet. Please. A trainer is not qualified to tell you not to take your puppy to the vet. None of us are qualified to diagnose your pup via keyboard.

Please get your pup to the vet and let us know what the doctor says.
Deb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Custodio View Post

Thanks everyone!
Take him to the vet. Please. A trainer is not qualified to tell you not to take your puppy to the vet. None of us are qualified to diagnose your pup via keyboard.

Please get your pup to the vet and let us know what the doctor says.
Spoke to my friend who's a vet so I could get immediate answers. She came over and took a look and asked me a few questions.

Kaiser is healthy the reason he threw up was because he's hungry. She said the green foamy bile is a sign of him just working out pretty much on an empty stomach.

I usually feed him around 11am and at 5pm but lots of times he doesn't eat a lot so I would just leave it for him to eat around that time. Since he was running a lot with no food, it caused him to throw up. She said he's fine, just either feed him some wet food at night if we work out early morning or give him a small treat before he sleeps or when he wakes up to have some food in him

Thanks everyone!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

the food you are feeding is not great. I would get a better nutrition, especially if you are training often. Do you use treats when you train?

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
the food you are feeding is not great. I would get a better nutrition, especially if you are training often. Do you use treats when you train?
What do you recommend? I have always used iams just because I see it's not mostly made out of wheat??
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

I feed raw....I try to stay with limited ingredients and whole foods. If you only have one dog, and can afford it, maybe research raw feeding? Pedigree canned is not what I'd ever want to feed. There are better brands of canned food.
If I fed kibble, I'd probably feed Wellness or Merrick. I'm sure others have other suggestions.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I feed raw....I try to stay with limited ingredients and whole foods. If you only have one dog, and can afford it, maybe research raw feeding? Pedigree canned is not what I'd ever want to feed. There are better brands of canned food.
If I fed kibble, I'd probably feed Wellness or Merrick. I'm sure others have other suggestions.
I tried feeding him raw chicken and beef but he doesn't like it... he lets it sit there and never eats it... :T
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

Has he always had no food drive? If this is recent, then I would have bloodwork done to rule out any bacteria or other issues. When dogs barf bile from an empty gut, it is usually yellow and a bit of foam, not green. I wonder if the gut flora is off so the appetite is as well. Has your dog been on antibiotics in the past year?

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Has he always had no food drive? If this is recent, then I would have bloodwork done to rule out any bacteria or other issues. When dogs barf bile from an empty gut, it is usually yellow and a bit of foam, not green. I wonder if the gut flora is off so the appetite is as well. Has your dog been on antibiotics in the past year?
Yeah sadly. The vet told me it could be because he would rather play than eat since he's a puppy when I got him checked awhile ago. He'll eat his dog food after an hour to two hours of being alone but won't touch his raw food. I got some test in him done a month ago because he was skinny and the vet said everything came out good. He's been eating more of his dog food but still not a lot sadly. He refuses to eat raw chicken and beef though sadly... he's never been on antibiotics before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page