Leaving dog home alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Leaving dog home alone

Hi there! My 1.5 yr old has been going to 'doggy day care' since she was 12 weeks old when I work my day shifts and afternoon shifts. I am having some behavioral issues with her...freaking out when someone she doesn't know comes into the house...freaking out when she see's another dog on a walk...freaking out when a stranger approaches us on a walk...basically I think she is a very fearful dog. I am in the process of finding a trainer to help teach me what to do in these situations...and many of them have suggested taking her out of the program.

My question is whether or not it is reasonable to leave her alone for 10 hours while I'm working. She does very well being left along and has never been destructive but I guess I just feel bad having her alone that long.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Well, millions of people do it every day and she will eventually have to "grow up" and get used to it. I would try a test run and leave her alone for a couple hours (like if you go shopping or something) and see how she does, then you can add time slowly. My question is, why does she freak out at other dogs on walks if she goes to doggy day care? I would think that her being socialized with dogs daily at daycare would make her less reactive to other dogs.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

The trainers have said that maybe she associates seeing dogs with playtime and gets worked up trying to get over to them...BUT her hair goes up and she's barking and lunging! She has the run of the house any time I'm gone for numerous hours and does fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella_the_gsd View Post
The trainers have said that maybe she associates seeing dogs with playtime and gets worked up trying to get over to them...BUT her hair goes up and she's barking and lunging! She has the run of the house any time I'm gone for numerous hours and does fine.
Reminds me of a dog I had years ago. Would lunge and bark at other dogs on walks, was a nightmare. Let me ask you this, do you ever observe her at daycare? How does she react to other dogs there? Because it could be the leash thats the problem. Dogs sometimes feel restricted and endangered by leashes. My next dog I'm going to follow Leerburg's advice and not let my dog interact with any other dogs, this way they will treat other dogs as furniture and just ignore them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Knighted Member

Athena used to do the whole bark and lunge towards strange dogs. I think she would just work herself up wanting to go check them out and play. I put a lot of effort into leave it and lately focus. She is much better now that I have told her leave it enough. Plus collar corrections helped. As far as leaving her home I wouldn't worry about it. Mine are crate trained but if shes used to having the house and doesn't destroy things I wouldn't fret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page