In the house training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

In the house training

Thought it would be a good thread if everyone lists a couple training things that you do inside when the weather is nasty outside.
Today I made a 5" high by 15" x15" box and worked on the dogs swinging their backside while keeping their front stationary, I will also occasionally work on loose leash walking using furniture and walls to keep the dogs close to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

Starting to get a wee bit nippy up north lately.....so I have been training a bit inside as well. Doing the "cover"....my cue for the dog to watch my six from a sitting heel position on my right side....the video posted in here the other day motivated me to do this. Also....doing right leg step aways....dogs waits while I wander away....I tap my left hip with my left hand...dog releases and either heels if I am moving...or sits in left heel position if I am standing still....no verbal cues for this one. Both exercises are basic....I don't know that there is any practical benefit from either of these....but what the heck.....that could be said for numerous obedience skills we've learned together.... I guess...it's just fun to do and the dog seems to enjoy it as much as I do..if not more.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 PM

We like to hide treats around the house and let Leo search for them. It keeps him occupied and isn't too high energy for inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Master Member

We do the rear end awareness/place exercises like you said where they stand on a bowl and pivots around. Also it's easy to teach tracking articles using a touch command inside. We are going to start teaching holding a dumbbell which will be me sitting on the couch getting her to hold a pvc pipe calm and gently. Some nights I'll put her in the bath room then go hide somewhere in the house and have my husband let her out to find me, it's pretty amusing. We also wrestle a lot in the house. Another thing we do that's not an inside activity but helps when it gets dark outside early is play fetch in the dark with a light up ball.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

If you have the space, core strengthening exercises are fun. I have a fitpaws peanut for balancing, my dogs like it, even though it is not the most fun, I have to make it fun with position changes and food rewards. Fitpaws has video's out there for more information.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page