Multiple dogs and managing training sessions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Multiple dogs and managing training sessions

Hi,

I have two GSDs - one who is six months (male) and one is ~two years old (female).

They both love to do training sessions with me, but the one dog I am not working has a FIT. The puppy really freaks out. He screams and screams. This is something new that he does for all training now - before, it was just if could somehow figure out if we were using a tug. Inside of a house, in a crate, out of any sight of us. He can probably hear us. Much of his panic is me and the female leaving - he is developing some very dramatic SA over it. I am researching how to deal with it.

If I am working with my female, I will have the puppy put away in his crate. It does not matter how delicious of something he has in there with him, or how tired out he is, he will throw a screaming hissy fit if I am working with my female. This used to be whining and he would settle, but since my puppy discovered tug toys...here we are.

As for the female, she will be whiny if put away. She will also snap at him if we are even playing fetch, and the puppy wants to grab her so he can then run off and get the toy first. The other will cry and be anxious if I try to play fetch with them apart.

I now have her sit on a place board as I work with the puppy. This has worked quite well, but we are still working on duration. If I want to reward her, the puppy wants the tug too.

The obvious solution for me is to teach the puppy to stay in place as well - but OMG I cannot do this by myself!!! He can sit in place for ~5 minutes with no distractions...he will initially stay and not use it as launching pad anymore, but it is difficult to keep his focus.

I have also tried taking it down a few notches - by using food instead of a tug toy. I have to use kibble or the puppy just loses his **** mind - he is all paws in his bratty teenager phase. My cute little puppy is growing up, and I am trying to manage it correctly - he is really testing me though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 PM

This is just the situation a bark collar is made for.You could learn how to use an e collar properly also if you believe you have the skills to work both dogs at once.It would be extremely difficult to time pressure and corrections on one dog in place or crated while working the other dog.I would give the bark collar serious consideration.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
She will also snap at him if we are even playing fetch, and the puppy wants to grab her so he can then run off and get the toy first
IMHO - you are doing well! That is how it may go, everything takes time, your exhaustion will have an end.
Seems puppy recognizes your female as another puppy and tends to compete. Stop the competition ( that is the main obstacle ) by taking your male by collar and turning his face away from her every time he tries to interfere, distract him. You can also block him off with your body. There are rules for different games with two dogs using one ball, and using two balls. Finally, as one pack members they should start to cooperate:
Clever: Two Dogs Use Teamwork To Retrieve Ball From Pool - Geekologie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page