Pointless training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Pointless training?

Hello all! I will be getting a puppy maybe around next month, but I have a concern when it comes to training. I currently own a 6 year old female german shepherd (Lucky), and she is a darling, but never had the proper training. She has a few bad habits, but nothing to crazy. For example, when I enter the house after being gone for long hours she'll repeatedly jump on me for a while (which I donít mind, but can be frustrating especially if Iím carrying stuff in or just not feeling well). Another example is when I take her for walks, I go for jogs every morning in this field like area and she runs along with me loose, but to get to this area, I have to walk her there with a leash and she has the tendency to pull sometimes, but nothing too bad that I canít handle. Not only that, she gets very excited when seeing another dog, at the point where she pulls me when she's on the leash, but again, itís nothing that I canít handle. She understands basic commands such as sit, or out, in, come here and so on. She just has these bad habits. Now hereís the thing, I want to add an addition to the family, but unlike Lucky, I want this puppy to have the proper training. I want to take him to training classes. I just worry that these classes would be pointless if he seeís Lucky jumping on me, pulling on the leash at times when on walks, and getting overly excited. Iím afraid that he would mimic her, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Work with Lucky first. Work on manners and the few bad habits she has until you feel like she'd be a better role model for the puppy. Its never too late to teach an older dog something new! It might just take a bit longer since she's been so used to getting away with it
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I would also suggest taking Lucky to a trainer or class. It can't be much fun with the jumping and pulling. And one day she might accidently knock you down and hurt you. Once Lucky is listening well, then consider a puppy. It'd be extremely difficult if you ever want to take both for a walk.
selzer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 PM

Lucky would probably love some good obedience training. I would work with her on her little issues. Sounds like you have a great dog....

I'm not sure the new pup would pick up bad habits from Lucky BUT Lucky didn't pick up bad habits on her own. It seems you are going in with a different approach this time, but start with Lucky... make sure it works. You love her now, think about her if she did none of those things...maybe not more love but I would bet it would be a very accomplished feeling.

I'm pro "get another dog" in general as long as owners are responsible and such so best of luck!!!

Jupiter Rising!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casto View Post
Lucky would probably love some good obedience training. I would work with her on her little issues. Sounds like you have a great dog....

I'm not sure the new pup would pick up bad habits from Lucky BUT Lucky didn't pick up bad habits on her own. It seems you are going in with a different approach this time, but start with Lucky... make sure it works. You love her now, think about her if she did none of those things...maybe not more love but I would bet it would be a very accomplished feeling.

I'm pro "get another dog" in general as long as owners are responsible and such so best of luck!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I would also suggest taking Lucky to a trainer or class. It can't be much fun with the jumping and pulling. And one day she might accidentally knock you down and hurt you. Once Lucky is listening well, then consider a puppy. It'd be extremely difficult if you ever want to take both for a walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliegsd View Post
Work with Lucky first. Work on manners and the few bad habits she has until you feel like she'd be a better role model for the puppy. Its never too late to teach an older dog something new! It might just take a bit longer since she's been so used to getting away with it
Thank you all for your replies. I totally agree with each one of you. I have been working with Lucky on the jumping. I've been doing a lot of research, in which some recommended pushing the dog back with your knee, but I liked the turning your back on the dog when they jump on you method more. As for the pulling, someone recommended me the prong collar, and I've done a TON of research on it so I'm sort of leaning towards that.

Training her would be a lot easier if she had a food drive, but she doesn't.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Kneeing the dog off Isn't that easy if she's 6. Does she jump on others or just you. Jupiter my 7 month old GSD will jump up if I slap my chest but not so much on his own. He understands "off" as well as anything. 2 days of the knee thing, maybe 10 times he tried jumping up and he was done with it. A prong is a tool. I went reverse with Jupiter and started him on a prong for his basic obedience. It was off in 2 months as his training went good and now we do everything with a flat collar. I never had to give to harsh correction or anything because he was a pup... i didnt have to. Now his training is going spectacular with treats. His heel is getting superb BUT he has a pretty good food drive. Loves to tug and his prey drive is intense but i love it. You'll be fine. When i got Jupiter it actually helped my relationship with my current dog. I got to revisit marker style traingin with her. She is a 20 lbd poodle who will follow any lure for a treat and she's just amazing and agile.

Jupiter Rising!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

Best advise is to always have one well trained dog before adding a second dog. Dogs take cues from each other ... good or bad.

The knee thing?? Works for me dogs don't jump on me more then "once" but "apparently" not an easily transferable skill?? My (Boxer) still jumped on others?? I "tried to instruct my friend in the "knee" thing ... did not go well ...he is kinda award and Struddell was extremely agile ... but fun to watch him try it.

Not a fan of turning my back ... I much prefer to "address" a behavior not "ignore it." I prefer to train a hard "Down" first before "Recall" I use "Down" as a "Correction." It means ... "Play Time is Over!" Recall (not mentioned) but my explanation ... takes to much "processing power" "Recall" means ... stop doing what I am doing, turn around and go back??? "Down" means "Down" party time is freaking over ... "Now!"

I heard Jeff say he no longer teaches the "Down/Stay" he uses "Place" instead?? Similar but different in any case when he did teach "Down" it looked like this.

There are a lot of ways to address the jumping a hand in the face and a hard "NO" before the jump is one bt one of the simplest that offers a "Consequence for poor choices" jst use a PC for the jumping and call it a day.

Pet Convincer.com

As for "Place" which helps to train "Calmness" into your dog ... that and lots more is in here.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8006017-post7.html

Welcome aboard and ask questions.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:50 PM

If you honestly don't mind, and Lucky's honestly not bothering anybody else, it's not a bad habit.

That said, if you get a puppy and use any decent training techniques, Lucky will be feeling mighty unlucky, left out, ignored, and honestly, Lucky's habits, when paired with a young WIP (work in progress) gsd puppy will get old really really fast.

I had a lovely moderate mild handsome easy dog once upon a time. He didn't NEED training. I declared him BORING and went out and got me a sport dog. She got all the goodies and all the attention, while my 'boring' dog got to tag along on long walks (my husband filled the gap, by the way), but I still regret never giving 'boring' a chance. He would have loved the training and attention. I may have found myself happy with just him and never went out and gotten another dog....I cannot go backwards, but... give Lucky a chance. Great training is FUN. Good training is fun. Lucky would probably be all too happy to learn how be with you without annoying you.

Train her 1st, and then decide about adding a puppy. That's my 2c

(sorry dearest Zandor, you still and forever have my humblest apologies)

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:57 PM

The 'knee' thing, I've done it. I took in a family dog, I was living with fragile seniors at the time. It seemed necessary. Yes, it worked, but if I had the luxury of time I would have done things differently.

This time I did have the luxury of time, and a smaller dog.

Reward four on the floor like a crazy--party time, scritches, rubbies, everything...

Weirdly enough, this time around, (smaller dog) I also put jumping up on cue ('hugs') because I liked it, but didn't want him popping up at the wrong time--this wasn't easy, but also worked. Because I reward four on the floor like crazy, though, now, I have to beg for hugs.....

Even if I still had a gsd, I think I'd put hugs on cue. Actually, I taught my last gsd, to a 'lets dance' cue, paws on outstretched arms, a comfy version of jumping up.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

I think you should start now wit the six year old, get her in classes, if at all possible, hold off on the new pup for a month or a couple of months until she is where you want her to be.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page