What should I be doing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

What should I be doing?

So Enya is coming up on 14 weeks. I've been working on exposing her to different places, different people. She walks on a leash well. She's working on sit, down, stay, leave it, come and out/drop it. She does excellent in the front yard, so working now in backyard. Once she does well there we'll work in the side yard, then keep moving about the property. I'm working on keeping her focus in all places. I'll be working on the same thing in town as well.

I've ordered a roped ball and I'm currently working with a toy that is similar with tugging and letting go. I'm not sure yet what trainers or working clubs are near me yet or the cost. Since I'm retired, cost does factor in.

What else should I be working on her with at this point in time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 PM

I'm right behind you with my puppy at 10 weeks. I'm gathering some smaller boxes to do scent work.
Deb likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

I'm doing the same, also trying to read threads about scent work.
dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

recalls are the most important thing, IMO at this stage. You need a long line, or someone else to hold the dog and do restrained recalls all the time, every training session.
Deb likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Can you define restrained recalls? I've trained for conformation, obedience and herding, but now I'm the newbie at this training.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

restrained recall is having someone hold your pup/dog and you run from them...when you call the dog, the dog should run to you. Either you can do it with or without a line. If you don't trust your dog, start it close up, and you hold the line(but still have someone hold your dog by the collar) It is all about the dog coming fast to you for a party/reward. Imprint that early, it could be a lifesaver.
Deb likes this.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Thanks, Onyx!! That I do know, just not by that name. Didn't know it had a name and haven't used it in years. I start out teaching a recall by running in the opposite direction if they aren't focusing. I'll have one of the kids help with this.

What equipment should we be looking at getting?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
What equipment should we be looking at getting?
long line, high value training toys(ball on string or good tug toy) food, and you acting like an idiot so your dog is engaged with you.
Deb likes this.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

I've ordered a ball on a string today, have different favored food treats figured out and acting like an idiot down pat. (At least according to my kids.) *G* Thank you so much, Onyx!

My only trained working dog came trained, so the training is new and I want to do it correctly and as well as I can. And it's important for Enya that I do it to the best of my ability.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Elite Member

At that age I spent A LOT of time imprinting desired off leash behavior.
Deb and MineAreWorkingline like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page