Training question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Training question.

I just have a quick question regarding training. I used to take the dogs out nightly on an individual basis and work on basic obedience. Rosko is a little further along and Athena and Apollo are not too much different. The past two weeks I have been doing every other night and on the off night trying to squeeze in more individual play time to secure and build bond.
So the question is why is it that when training nightly, or every other night there is occasionally one dog that acts like they forgot half of what they've been taught. And one always excels. It is never the same ones. Take tonight for instance. Rosko and Athena both acted like they never heard the word heel ( kept confusing heel with attention) but Apollo absolutely nailed heel. Apollo actually was spot on with everything. Rosko and Athena were on with stays etc... Just the heel. Last time both Athena, and Rosko nailed heel. (by heel I'm talking off leash looking at me.) I assume next time they will both once again be OK with it. Does anyone else experience this, with training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Everyday of my life. Normal learning curves, most people just don't have the direct comparison to notice.
cdwoodcox likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

I found that when my were younger there were moments when you would think they knew nothing, but in the end they were absorbing it and one day it all clicked. I thought my youngest golden was picking up nothing for a year and a half. We took class after class and worked at home all the time. He had me quite confused, but one day as I was working with him he did everything perfectly and has done so ever since.
cdwoodcox likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yeah I know their soaking things in. The confusing part is one day they get it then the next time they act like don't get it then next time they get it again. Then two weeks later they may have an episode where they act like they don't get it. Then they get it again. Sometimes I think they're just messing with me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Yeah I know their soaking things in. The confusing part is one day they get it then the next time they act like don't get it then next time they get it again. Then two weeks later they may have an episode where they act like they don't get it. Then they get it again. Sometimes I think they're just messing with me.
I came to the same conclusion but just kept moving forward. I think that they just test the boundaries to see what they can and can't get away with--just like teenagers.

Are you keeping Apollo?
cdwoodcox likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I came to the same conclusion but just kept moving forward. I think that they just test the boundaries to see what they can and can't get away with--just like teenagers.

Are you keeping Apollo?
Yeah, Apollo is one of us. We tried finding him another home but no one we personally knew and trusted wanted a dog. So we put an ad on hoobly. A couple people contacted wanting to buy him but after talking to them we didn't feel right sending Apollo with either of them. So after a while you know how it is they grow on you. You get to see their personality, they get attached. Apollo was almost instantly my shadow still is. The dogs all got along. And it doesn't take long before you don't want them to go and they don't wanna go. So he's ours.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

I have no experience with this but sure sounds like all three are keeping you guessing at who knows the most, who does it best, and who is the quickest to obey. Have you noticed them in a huddle giving quick sideways glances at you and chuckling.

Sorry couldn't help it. It was the image I got as I was reading your post. Lol.
cdwoodcox likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Yeah,mine have days like that.I make them do it anyway,just for a few seconds sometimes.Then go on to something else before I get frustrated.They probably are messing with us,lol!
cdwoodcox likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Mine have done this. I'd begun calling it the 'Who me?' stage which my kids thought was hysterical as I said it to them when the same kind of things happened. It's like one day they know how to do something and the next day they kind of look at you and say, "Who, me? You want me to do what?"
cdwoodcox likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I have no experience with this but sure sounds like all three are keeping you guessing at who knows the most, who does it best, and who is the quickest to obey. Have you noticed them in a huddle giving quick sideways glances at you and chuckling.

Sorry couldn't help it. It was the image I got as I was reading your post. Lol.
Rosko by far knows the most but sometimes I think he thinks that if he acts confused he can get treats or ball throws for easy stuff like shake. Lol.
Athena and Apollo well I'm not sure about them. Athena learns quicker but Apollo seems to become more reliable quicker. Meaning when teaching stay. Athena learned to stay easily but while adding distance and time she took longer to get the distance and time stays. Where Apollo took longer to understand what I meant by stay he seems to be learning the time and distance reliability quicker than Athena. I guess they both have their strong points. All in all they're all easy dogs to train. I'm lucky in that aspect.
Deb and Heartandsoul like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page