Nosework videos - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nosework videos

I think I would like to teach the old gal nosework this winter. There aren't any classes around here so I was hoping someone could offer opinions on good videos or books? She already knows an indoor/outdoor "find it" game with her ball which is her all time favorite thing to do...

Also considering the Fenzi class?

Saw Dave Kroyer has NW videos.

Any opinions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:41 AM

BowWowFlix has Andrew Ramsey nosework videos you can rent.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:11 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I haven't seen it, but Halo and I make a brief appearance in the first of the Andrew Ramsey series of nosework DVDs.
dogfaeries likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I haven't seen it, but Halo and I make a brief appearance in the first of the Andrew Ramsey series of nosework DVDs.
Cool!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

There is the Parker videos"how one dog got started in nose works" put out by the national association of scent work. Many you tube videos of the above mentioned and Mike Suttle. I would suggest going to a upcoming nosework clinic/workshop in your area-tons of information. It is worth a bit of travel. It always help to have someone critique what you are doing as most often handler error- the dog knows quickly what to do. In the clinics/workshop you can bring your dog to be part of the clinic/workshop if you choose or just watch. It really is so much fun I don't think I can ever get bored doing this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
That is cool(smiley face)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

There is a clinic coming up and I had thought of going..., but it is very near to a seminar I am already signed up for and it may be too much. I will look into it again...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

I'm sure they will have a clinc again it is definitely worth going. http://www.k9nosework.com/ is one place you can get the scent kit and the Parker video which shows you a clear way how to start nose works. Leerburg also offers the nosework kit and info on there as well. Start saving many boxes-lol!!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

One more question....I was reading reviews of the Ramsey NW video and it sounded like not a 1 person job? Must you have 2 ppl? This being to train a dog who knows her markers, knows a "search" cue and has tons of ball and food drive.

I am always pestering my husband to do something it seems like...he will not be thrilled with another "hey honey will you help me train the dog to do xyz lol"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

The only time you need a second person is when you do blind hides and that is later on which does not require much effort. I drag the kids to Home Depot when we go so they record and do perhaps a blind hide if I like the way things are going. Recording what goes on does help you see the mistakes you make. The last time we went to Home Depot Max was struggling but he did find all the hides but was not as strong being in oder -I felt. I heard no wind sucking through the nose like usual or crouching on the ground - he often does this. . I was a little puzzled as to why I checked the tin and had found out that the tin the cotton swab was in had no scented cotton swab in it. Duh? The tin had a smell not detectable to us. Detectable to Max from the prior qtip that was in it I felt awful but he did incredibly well and found every hide I was proud. We did go back to another Home Depot next day with our qtip in the tin and noticed how strong he was in odor then previously. By son just being himself served also served as a great distraction-lol. Later on when training for distractions Home Depot is a great place to go later in to train for distractions- large equipment buzzing around loud banging sounds people walking by many bins and places to hide the scent in. Petco is another great place - little critter, dogs, food smells
Etc.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-12-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page