Behaviorist or Trainer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Behaviorist or Trainer?

Really I don't see the difference. Maybe some are more competition oriented, but aren't the best trainers are also behaviorists? They should be
dogma13 and Lorrie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

A good trainer IS a behaviorist. A good trainer understands and reads the dog. A good trainer knows how to fix the issues of the individual dog.

IMO, "behaviorist" is just the newest word to make yuppies with unruly pugs feel special.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 PM

Theres so many different types of trainers out there. I feel like behavorist's prescribe meds where as a behavior modification trainer, gets to the root of the problem and changes the state of mind of the dog, fixing whatever issue there is.

The problem is, some people don't want to bring their dog to a trainer that can introduce the word 'no' and the concept of 'you are responsible for your actions, and the bad decisions you make have consequence'. So instead people bring their dog to a 'behaviorist' and get prescribed meds to "fix" (mask) the problem.

I know if my dog had behavior issues I sure as **** wouldn't be bringing them to a positive only (no such thing) trainer.
Jax08, gsdluvr and islanddog like this.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A good trainer IS a behaviorist. A good trainer understands and reads the dog. A good trainer knows how to fix the issues of the individual dog.

IMO, "behaviorist" is just the newest word to make yuppies with unruly pugs feel special.
Lololol! @Jax08, My feelings exactly!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

After three private lessons, a behaviorist said I should take my dog to Schutzhund since they knew how to deal with GSDs. Read that as in: he was a handful for the behaviorist.

Moriah
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
After three private lessons, a behaviorist said I should take my dog to Schutzhund since they knew how to deal with GSDs. Read that as in: he was a handful for the behaviorist.
The solution is to take him to real trainers. Imagine that.
gsdluvr, Chip18 and Moriah like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

You need to define what you mean by "behaviorist." It's an unregulated term. There's no nationally recognized credential like a CPDT, so idiots and charlatans abound.

When I use the term "behaviorist," I think of a board-certified veterinarian behaviorist. They can bring medical, neurological, hormonal, and other physical concerns into the evaluation of behavior. In addition to the DVM, they've done a residency in applied behavior and satisfied the demanding qualifications for board cert. There are only a few of them in the country. You can find them through the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists:
ACVB

For standard misbehavior, you don't need one. For OCD and related issues, I would want to work with one -- research just came out showing canine autism exists (!!!). The OCD stuff we sometimes discuss here (tail chasing, etc.) has some documented links to explosive rage in the study, and there's no longer a doubt it's neurological, not just "learned behavior." The researchers found what was going on in the brains of dogs' suffering from some forms of OCD closely paralleled autism in human children's brains -- it's a revolutionary finding. Those dogs need meds, though they're barely at the beginning of figuring out what helps. This is a new frontier in veterinary medicine -- the field is in its infancy.

One of the vet researchers was on NPR discussing his new book -- the interview was fascinating, and I literally sat in a parking lot of the grocery store listening to it instead of running my errands because I couldn't tear myself away:
https://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2...mal-psychiatry

Last edited by Magwart; 08-23-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
Wait, you own a GSD? that needs to be a police dog.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You need to define what you mean by "behaviorist." It's an unregulated term. There's no nationally recognized credential like a CPDT, so idiots and charlatans abound.

When I use the term "behaviorist," I think of a board-certified veterinarian behaviorist. They can bring medical, neurological, hormonal, and other physical concerns into the evaluation of behavior. In addition to the DVM, they've done a residency in applied behavior and satisfied the demanding qualifications for board cert. There are only a few of them in the country. You can find them through the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists:
ACVB

For standard misbehavior, you don't need one. For OCD and related issues, I would want to work with one -- research just came out showing canine autism exists (!!!). The OCD stuff we sometimes discuss here (tail chasing, etc.) has some documented links to explosive rage in the study, and there's no longer a doubt it's neurological, not just "learned behavior." The researchers found what was going on in the brains of dogs' suffering from some forms of OCD closely paralleled autism in human children's brains -- it's a revolutionary finding. Those dogs need meds, though they're barely at the beginning of figuring out what helps. This is a new frontier in veterinary medicine -- the field is in its infancy.

One of the vet researchers was on NPR discussing his new book -- the interview was fascinating, and I literally sat in a parking lot of the grocery store listening to it instead of running my errands because I couldn't tear myself away:
Fascinating!! Great info!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

ACVB

The behaviorist I went to was a board certified veterinarian behaviorist. She had me turn him loose, first thing at the first lesson, in a large obedience area where he promptly took a new paper towel roll (for potty clean up) and unrolled it in one big move all across the floor then ran to where the roll was and picked it up and ran around the room with it trailing behind him as a banner. She got that away from him and then he ran to where there was a big container of stuffed toys and he proceeded to take them out as fast as she was trying to get them back in. She finally had to put the toy container on shelving he could not reach after he got the container off a lower shelf after she first put it up. Then, he ran to a garbage can that had a "swing" closure on top and he stuck his head through the enclosure and didn't want to take his head out. (I figured there was food in there.) All within the first 10 minutes.....welcome to a 13 month-old GSD puppy .. . .

Believe me, I was never so glad to hook up with a Schutzhund Club!!!!
Jax08, LuvShepherds and islanddog like this.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page