Michael Ellis is amazing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Michael Ellis is amazing

Michael Ellis is probably the best dog trainer out there today. His dog training philosophy makes perfect sense and his knowledge is astounding. I always swore that I would never become the disciple of one specific trainer but there you have it, he got me!
I have trained my 4.5 month old GSD using his Marker training method and among other achievements he can already heal off lead in a strange environment with mild distractions.
This is not an advert for Leerburg or any of Michael Ellis's products and services but I just felt that I had to share it with everyone and give credit where it is due. This man is the real Dog Whisperer.
dogma13 likes this.

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty." - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo's dad View Post
Michael Ellis is probably the best dog trainer out there today.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo's dad View Post
Michael Ellis is probably the best dog trainer out there today.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...381057&thumb=1
Attached Images

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty." - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Who are your favorites?
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

Ivan, that's no secret. Francois Massart who does most of Cranks decoy work now is actually a really complete trainer. He is a best kept secret right now. If you are wanting to do French or Mondioring and you're in the LA area you need to go check him out. He does pet OB too. Dovat is also super nice in a suit and has won Mondioring worlds I think 5 times now. I haven't been able to work with him yet because I've been stuck training pets whenever he's flown into the States but he's impressed people I know that are not easy to impress. His record speaks for itself.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is this. ME isn't even the best trainer in the state of California. The best trainers in the world right now with the exception of Ivan and a few other US IPO people I'm not going to start naming off are European. The bulk of which are French Belgian or German.

I'm not even speaking in terms of competitive results either. I'm talking in terms of completeness as a trainer in what they know about dogs, their training methods, their knowledge of the animal in general.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

Isn't it all subjective when you get near the top? Its who you can learn from.
If I watched Michael Ellis, and his system didn't click for me, I'd think he's the worst. However if Deb Zappia's system clicked for me, I'd think she was the greatest. We all interpret things differently.
Just my opinion.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

It's not subjective. It isn't philosophy. In the end whatever you decide to do to train a dog is based on hard science of learning theory. If you're leaving out entire quadrants of operant conditioning or can't understand them like you should understand them then you have serious gaps in your ability as a trainer. There are trainers out there that despite a huge gap in their knowledge can still accomplish a lot.

If you train everything the right way the first time you teach it you don't have to know how to go back and fix something later for instance. But that trainer doesn't have as much value as the trainers who know how to get it right the first time but also know how to go back and fix it when it goes wrong quickly and efficiently. Especially true in the case of sport training where lots of people have screwed up foundation work somewhere or another and have issues they need fixed.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

Is that like saying everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts?
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

I think by its very definition learning theory is not generally classified as a hard science. At least when I learned it academically, it was in my psychology courses....an entire course devoted to brain and behavior, entire course devoted to learning, under the bachelor's degree of psychology, which tends to be classified as soft science.

Bailif, to me what you said "there are trainers with huge gaps in their knowledge who can accomplish a lot" means it IS a little subjective.

Who is to say who or what is absolutely right and absolutely wrong when it comes to dog training? It isnt like math where there is only one right answer.
gsdluvr and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page