How often do you train your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By echo's dad
  • 1 Post By llombardo
  • 1 Post By Baillif

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

How often do you train your dog?

I obedience train my 4.5 month old puppy 2 to 3 time a day. I initially started with 2-3 minute sessions but I have since increased it to a good 10-15 minutes at a time. That's the beauty of marker training. There is almost zero stress on the dog. These training sessions include lots of retrieves which my dog loves. I also use short drive building exercises such as tug-of-war but I keep it light since he is teething. I also want to start tracking soon.
I know a good training programme must have some variations in to stimulate the dog and keep him from getting bored. Over-training is also something to watch for. Feel free to share your ideas here.
islanddog likes this.

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty." - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Crowned Member

Mine are older now, but training is daily and they don't even know it, which makes it easy, fun, and normal for them. Since they were small I would incorporate obedience in the daily routine and it became the routine. Everyday they do sits, downs, stays, park its, heeling, leave its and whatever else I can fit in. It no longer becomes training really, because they expect it and know it. I have a couple that never went to classes or had any training as pups but they picked it up and also do as asked. There was always one trick the trainer liked to teach--bang bang(the dog plays dead). For the life of me I couldn't get any of the dogs that were in classes to do this trick. I decided to try with Batman and the darn dog that hasn't had any obedience training got it the first time. This week I'm working on an emergency recall word. 3 of them know it already, so it's something different for the rest of them. The word is never used unless there is an emergency and it's trained with high value treats, it's fun to train and something different to add.
islanddog likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 08-11-2016 at 07:34 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Although we do have formal IPO training once a week (unless the weather is terribly hot or snow is deep) we train a little bit every day throughout the day. I do some tracking practice two or three times a week. I do some trick practice with our dogs for fun and fitness, things like Sit Pretty / Handsome, Crawl and instead of Bang Play Dead I yell MEDIC and my dogs lay down on their side. My big boy also lets his tongue hand out which gets me chuckling. I tell my dog to Hide Your Eyes, which means he will get to search for a favorite toy or treats around the house. I have him Find Laundry and Bring Laundry, usually a hand towel or pillow case dropped on the way to the washing machine. Our pup hasn't figured out the Bring Laundry part yet. She still picks up an item from the laundry basket and runs away with it. Guess we need to work on that training, too.

And on walks, I like to break up the usual neighborhood jaunt with some Obedience drills. But these high summer temps have really been eroding away our walking days.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

I like to use those cheap 1.5 ft deep kiddie pools in the summer heat when conditioning and training. Fill it with water and use pool breaks as needed to cool them down and recover them faster so you can get back to it. Same can essentially be done with a garden hose. Just keep in mind when you get them wet they tend to overheat faster so the breaks have to come a bit more frequently. It goes a long way to be able to do some really intense summer conditioning without such a high risk of heatstroke (doesn't eliminate it if you don't read the dog well)
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page