Reward and ecollar - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Reward and ecollar

Do you incorporate treats into your ecollar training? My instructor said itll cause them to be dependant. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Kona |Long Hair GSD | 55 lbs | 3 years old |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

To be clear, she didnt say not to reward them but keep the treats separate from the commands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 PM

I always reward a correct behavior.

I wouldn't use an E collar and not reward a dog when it is correct.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 08-08-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

]I don't think food causes them to become dependant if you do it right. Food can be a great motivator, it can be a great tool to explain something to a dog.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

I use treats to encourage an enthusiastic heel. Sometimes I want a calm heel and other times a "drivey" one. Treats can build drive.

I use treats on recall. I want my dog to know that coming to me is the best thing ever. On walks in the park early in the morning, he is off leash with an e-collar. When I call his name, he gets a treat when he comes back to me. Then, I usually say "break" and let him go freely again. If he voluntarily comes back without me calling while on the walk, I also give him a treat. He is 2.5 years old. I have been treating a recall (casual or formal) since he was a puppy. A recall is a most valuable command to have rock solid. E-collars are excellent tools, so are treats.

Moriah
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

Couple of things ... first "treats" and "rewards" are not necessarily the same thing. Ruling out "puppies," in general the "overuse" or "incorrect" use of "treats" which for "JQP" typically means a "cookie" can easily lead to "too much excitement" or the giving of "treats" for the wrong behaviour. A lot of trainers don't use "treats" ie "cookies," a simple "good boy/girl" and call it day is "good enough."

And for "me" a dog has to "prove" they deserve that. I don't reward a dog for "not acting like fool" "I" "expect that." For "me" not getting a "correction" is "reward enough."

To "me" the "E- Collar" is irrelevant to the question ...an "E-Collar" is just a correction by other means. I'm not big on the whole "distract and treat thing??" I prefer a dog learn to freaking "deal with it." I don't get a "treat" for not acting like a "fool" why should my dog?? So your "Trainer" may not be "conventional" but he's not alone.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
]I don't think food causes them to become dependant if you do it right. Food can be a great motivator, it can be a great tool to explain something to a dog.
Yes but ... "Working for "Food" and rewarding "good/appropriate" behaviour with "treats" are two diffrent things.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for chiming in

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Yes but ... "Working for "Food" and rewarding "good/appropriate" behaviour with "treats" are two diffrent things.
So....I was trying to make a vague distinction about how you can use food to lure a dog into a behavior as a teaching method. It is easy to fade out the lure quickly.

Different thing than using food as a plain reward for a behavior. Neither causes the dog to become dependant unless you don't know how to use food properly. I personally would not use a trainer who didn't know how to use food properly.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:45 AM

Bart Bellon, Michael Ellis, Ivan Balabanov, Tyler Muto...

All these trainers use food rewards and lures in their e-collar training. I don't think you have to look for more than that as evidence that it is a solid training method.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page