Nipping while playing with toy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Nipping while playing with toy

My 6 month GSD Zoey brings her chew toys to me or the couch and uses my leg / arm / whatever she can reach to prop the toy on and chew it resulting in me getting nipped or biting through the coffee table. Its almost like she is using me to hold up the toy so she can get a better chew on it instead of on the floor but this results in my getting chewed right along with the toy. She does this regardless of how much I play with her. For example yesterday we played Frisbee for 30 mins then came in the house and if I go to the kitchen to wash dishes she will lay quietly but if I go to the living room to watch TV she will bring her chew toys and nip or bite me while she is chewing them. I know she wants attention but how much attention is enough ?

I don't seem to be doing a good job re-directing her because she keeps doing this over and over. The only way I have been able to get some peace and quiet in the evenings while watching TV is to work on engagement with her - she has to lay down and I give her treats every few mins. We did this for a whole hour yesterday. She does very well but is there a way to get her to stop nipping me ? When I try to take the toy and throw it, she thinks we are playing tug and won't give it. When I tell her out, she keeps pushing it against me and chewing it. I have a huge bruise on my thigh from when she nipped me by "Accident" and it was so painful tears shot out of my eyes. How can I get her to stop this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 AM

It really sounds like this is how Zoey likes to relax.To be as near to you as possible and chewing contentedly.Samson and also other dogs in the past have done this with me also.What I have done is hold the toy or bone for a minute or so then transition them to the floor next to my (slippered!) foot.I soothe them with my voice and sometimes stroking them gently to help them settle.Sometimes it takes a few repetitions but then they chill.Usually chew for a while then nap.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
It really sounds like this is how Zoey likes to relax.To be as near to you as possible and chewing contentedly.Samson and also other dogs in the past have done this with me also.What I have done is hold the toy or bone for a minute or so then transition them to the floor next to my (slippered!) foot.I soothe them with my voice and sometimes stroking them gently to help them settle.Sometimes it takes a few repetitions but then they chill.Usually chew for a while then nap.

Maybe you can answer this,when Titan see the family play rough housing -- he tends to howl and nipat either myself or my son’s legs or back. From what I can see and feel; he’susing just his front teeth. Is this a form of aggression (being he's twoyears old)? Is this normal? Is this the puppy in him (2 years but dog years = 14).Here another weird situation, yesterday, I took him to an open field to run andplay, as he was on one side of the field and I was on the other; I tookoff running in the opposite direction. As he looked up and saw me runningaway from him, he tore off after me and caught up to me. Immediately he startedbarking at me and he nipped at me; to where he actually drew blood. As he was going in for his second nip, I swattedhim on his bottom (which was a bad thing to do), heyipped and immediately kneeled down like he was giving intosubmission. After that, everything was back to normal. I really felt bad for usinga harsh punishment, but I felt if I didn't swat him, I felt he would haveattempted to keep on barking and nipping at me. I'm thinking being his second owners,his anxiety got the best of him and he was upset with me. Maybe to a dog'seye, it looked as if I was trying to abandon him and it frustrated him– who knows????--- what's your take on it. This has never happened in the last 2 months ofbeing together.

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey'smom View Post
My 6 month GSD Zoey brings her chew toys to me or the couch and uses my leg / arm / whatever she can reach to prop the toy on and chew it resulting in me getting nipped
The reason she is doing this is because he wants to play with you. You will be able to tell if you try this with 2 types of toys. 1. An engagement toy like a ball that she knows she interacts with you to make the ball fun and 2. a toy that is only for her like a bone or hard treat chew. most likely if you give her the bone she will take it to her bed, crate or what ever and leave you in peace.

With my pup i just took away all the toys we play with together. This actually happened to be all of them. He is worked and stimulated everyday (never in the house unless you have a well defined start and stop for sessions) and has learned to relax while inside.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 PM

He's just playing.That's how dogs play with other dogs,with their mouths.Try yelling Ouch!And make sure you keep a tug or something handy to show him what's appropriate to bite.You could start sending him to get his toy before the roughousing begins if you want to include him.
Running away from him was a great game of chase for him!Keep a toy or tug for him to jump up and grab.He was never taught how to play appropriately as a small puppy when it was easierSo now you get to do it with a big guy,lol!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
He's just playing.That's how dogs play with other dogs,with their mouths.Try yelling Ouch!And make sure you keep a tug or something handy to show him what's appropriate to bite.You could start sending him to get his toy before the roughousing begins if you want to include him.
Running away from him was a great game of chase for him!Keep a toy or tug for him to jump up and grab.He was never taught how to play appropriately as a small puppy when it was easierSo now you get to do it with a big guy,lol!
Good idea -- tonight if it doesn't rain I will take him and see if it works. Thank you!

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by zoey'smom; 06-14-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
The reason she is doing this is because he wants to play with you. You will be able to tell if you try this with 2 types of toys. 1. An engagement toy like a ball that she knows she interacts with you to make the ball fun and 2. a toy that is only for her like a bone or hard treat chew. most likely if you give her the bone she will take it to her bed, crate or what ever and leave you in peace.

With my pup i just took away all the toys we play with together. This actually happened to be all of them. He is worked and stimulated everyday (never in the house unless you have a well defined start and stop for sessions) and has learned to relax while inside.
she brings all her toys to me and chews them on me both her balls and her big knuckle bones. The only bones she doesnt bring over are the fresh new ones that still have the meat or bbq flavor on them. she keeps those to herself

I am going to try to take away the toys and see how she behaves. She will either find something she is not supposed to chew on or pace till she finds something she is not supposed to chew on or chill but worth a try

Last edited by zoey'smom; 06-14-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey'smom View Post
she brings all her toys to me and chews them on me both her balls and her big knuckle bones. The only bones she doesnt bring over are the fresh new ones that still have the meat or bbq flavor on them. she keeps those to herself
I'd just make her lay down off you and chew. Its not a big deal, wanting contact with you, and the nipping is probably more accidental then anything else. But there's no reason to keep letting her.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

When I try to take the toy she tugs and won't give it. Should I persist and then when I do get it, hold on to it for minute? why I try to do this and stroke her she mouths me and it's not gentle .. I have to keep telling her to be gentle until she either stops or most of the time she ends up in the crate because she continues to nip. I love the idea of soothing her to chill but maybe I am doing something wrong because she won't chill unless I put her in the crate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page