House Training a Grown GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

House Training a Grown GSD

I am seeking advice on training a grown GSD I rescued, he has a wonderful temperament, non aggressive/food, just a super good dog, but he grew up outside on a farm and was never inside. and he is a cat chaser, I am sure that cannot be changed so Im mindful of our kitty when he does come into the kitchen.

The other question is neutering, he is now approx 4 years old unaltered, should I have this done or is it ok to just not do it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

the cat chasing can likely be trained away. In all cases, you treat him as you would a puppy.
He's crated unless he is by your side. Period.
Let him drag a leash when he's earned a bit more freedom (IE he just pottied outside so you know that he isn't likely to have to go). That way you can redirect any attention away from the cat and get him under control.
Don't allow him to chase the cat at all or even stare intently. teach a strong leave it command and enforce using the leash.

At this point, there is little downside to neutering. He's fully mature. It's mostly a matter of preference except that it would eliminate the risk of testicular cancer and lower the risk of prostrate issues.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

We start it the same way to house train a puppy. We have a rescue from a puppy mill, 6 years old, who we are working with. Petra has caught on fast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
the cat chasing can likely be trained away. In all cases, you treat him as you would a puppy.
He's crated unless he is by your side. Period.
I am so grateful, thank you, he seems to be easy to train, he weighs about 90 lbs, what size or kind of crate would you recommend? ... also collars should they have a wide one?

Quote:
Let him drag a leash when he's earned a bit more freedom (IE he just pottied outside so you know that he isn't likely to have to go). That way you can redirect any attention away from the cat and get him under control.
Don't allow him to chase the cat at all or even stare intently. teach a strong leave it command and enforce using the leash.
Oh he does stare too , should I use the words "leave it" and would I give him a treat or just the commend alone, Im 100% new at this as you can see but I love this dog and he's worth it.

Quote:
At this point, there is little downside to neutering. He's fully mature. It's mostly a matter of preference except that it would eliminate the risk of testicular cancer and lower the risk of prostate issues.
Is testicular cancer and prostate problems common to GSD?

again, many many thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie86 View Post
We start it the same way to house train a puppy. We have a rescue from a puppy mill, 6 years old, who we are working with. Petra has caught on fast!
Thank you, Im new to all training but he is very smart and Im bonded with him and he will always be with me, I want him to have all the training he needs so he can be inside with me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:37 PM

Hi there,
I'm in the same situation, recently adopted an adult GSD & have two cats. Just saw the tip on not letting her stare at them, I will nip that in the bud now. I actually thought she was just sussing them out. I have 1 cat who will stand his ground and stare back but another 1 that is skittish and will run, My GSD darted after her once so far and I intercepted. We are having difficulty with toilet training too. I'm bringing her out during the day every few hours, especially after meals but she seems to like to save it up for night and leave us a present in the morning! It's early days yet I suppose. Will be interested to hear how you get on with your dog.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Elite Member

OP, you sound like you are in love with your dog - that is great! A lucky guy!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM

I have homed an 8 year old boy too that hasn't been 'fixed'. He use to hump my other male dog but that has stopped as i was onto it and interrupted. Also wondering if i should be looking at neutering as everyone (that hasn't been asked) is putting their 2cents in and suggesting i should.

Cheers

Marilyn
(Australia)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page