Trainer Recommendation for DC/Maryland area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Trainer Recommendation for DC/Maryland area

Hi! I am wondering if the group here might have recommendations for a good trainer with GSD experience in the Dc/Maryland area.

Our pup is just about 5 months old - we have been going to "kindergarten" classes so she gets some socialization, we have also been doing lots of training at home. Recently as she is teething, she is more bratty - biting us: to solicit play, when she gets frustrated (e.g. Wanting to do something but we won't let her), and when we try to put on her harness (hard enough to bruise, but not bleed).
Since she completely ignores us when she gets amped like that, we starting doing leash pops with "no" correction - that gets her attention (after she obeys a "sit", we then praise and treat). Anyhow, long story short, this week when we went to class, the puppy was amped again and the trainer heard my husband verbal/leash correct our pup - after class she says we are too harsh with our dog, and that we should only use positive training, as in "just keep treating her". She also said "violence begets violence", that it is our correction that's making the puppy bite, because we are making her scared (Very curious to hear the group's thoughts on this.) She also says our dog is "super sensitive" and then sent me articles on how gsd these days are trending to be fearful and reactive. (Our puppy loves people and dogs alike through class. So why she sent me that article was baffling.)

Anyhow, i find her advice impractical to say the least. So we are now trying to find another trainer who might be actually be helpful. Would appreciate recommendations!

Side note for laughs: The other "advice" she gave regarding leash dragging, is that we shouldn't pull against the puppy. So when puppy pulls, we need to "only hold on to the leash with strength that matches the puppy's pulling and gradually approach the puppy, (gesturing, like a french mime: slowly, one grab at a time along the leash towards dog), and when we get to the dog, quickly treat it. that's the advice for dragging (Seriously? With 40 lb of muscle you want me to do that? is that about the most impractical advice ever or what?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I can point you to trainers in Montgomery and Frederick and around Annapolis and Columbia area. Where are you located?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

These ladies are great. You'll find them very balance trainers

P.U.P.S Dog Obedience Training serving Maryland, Virginia, D.C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jax08!

GSDsar - I am in Montgomery. Thanks in advance!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Applejack K9 in southern maryland is amazing! Nicest and most knowledgeable people around.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Morris at iCare K9 or Sue at Sirius Dog Training.

Morris helped my sister with her GSD, does sport work with his Malinois and does individual and group classes. He is in Rockville.

Sue is the breeder I got my boy Ike from, has handled multiple LE k9 and her partner is a current K9 in MoCo. Awesome! She does not do group classes, it is all one on one. She is in Frederick county, but does MoCo as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 AM

Paws and Possibilities has great trainers. They are in Anne Arundel County with classes both in Davidsonville and Severna Park. I went to them after an initial bad trainer and they were great. They have a puppy class too and it is nothing like the one you described.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 AM

here is where I train for IPO. There is a trial coming up soon if you want to see what is involved.

HOME - k9wagdc
not only are we training for this sport but we have gotten a great deal of everyday common sense training advice.

they also train for IPO here
http://www.mistyridge.com/

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by car2ner; 04-12-2016 at 07:49 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all! Happy to hear that there are so many nice trainers in the vicinity - will definitely check them out and do some research this time.

Car2ner - IPO training is intriguing - Though at this point (for us) it's probably more aspirational than anything (since our pup is still a total gnat) I'll email the contact listed to see if we can come by to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page