Off Leash Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Off Leash Training

HI ALL,

I've been working off leash with our pup for the last couple weeks and have been looking for tips and tactics used. I tried searching for a thread specifically on off leash training but wasn't too successful so if there is one, please direct me.

My primary tool has been treats and an ecollar to keep his focus but I feel like there's more I can do that I haven't read, seen, watched, etc. So any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Some things I do with the remote and treats in hand:
-Put Ziggy in a down stay when distractions (bikes, runners, dogs) cross our path and reward/praise since I haven't been able to keep walking without him reacting.
-Keep repeating heel when he gets ahead of me in our walks but will buzz him if I feel its gets too repetitive.
-Use a flirt pole at the park and reward/praise when he ignores a passerby
-Recall when he's engaged with other dogs or people and then release to re-engage.

I've used the remote more times than mentioned above so I'm sure there's lots more i'm doing right and wrong but I just wanted the boards input.

TIA

Last edited by ZiggytheSheprador; 04-06-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

You have made a lot of progress especially with the distractions. I would suggest turning suddenly when Ziggy gets ahead of you, you could say the command at the same time and then use the remote. Also if you are not already doing so when using the remote, be sure that he doesn't connect it with you. So when you use it, and he stops - turns toward you - praise him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 PM

I do have an e collar fail story you may find interesting.As most of us know,timing is crucial when giving corrections and my collar has a couple of seconds of delay.So I set out to train one thing but ended up training another.

Samson decided last winter it was fun chasing cars that would drive by the house.He blew off my Leave It and recall until the car was past our property.So I recruited a neighbor to drive by with the plan of stimming him as soon as his ears perked up at the sound of the car passing by.

By the time he felt the stim he was already in hot pursuit.He'd stop and look confused so I'd yell Leave It! and call him back.Three days and three training sessions and his recall is amazing but he's still too interested in the cars.He obeys a leave it or a stay,but if he hears a car before I do he will still rush to the edge of the yard and stop.And if we are actively playing or training he doesn't show any interest.I have to be super vigilant still,so it was still a fail.But if I call him he stops whatever he's doing and runs to me full out,happy as can be

That's all I've used the collar for.When we're out in the woods he checks in with me every couple of minutes,never a problem calling him off of the occasional deer or rabbit.We've met up with an ATV on occasion and he shows no interest.Just the cars in front of the house.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

For e-collar training, Lou Castle, who is a member, has a website:
Home

The site does have an article on recall training and also a forum that may have the answer and give you further information.

If you haven't already done so, try searching in the Leerburg site in the articles and question/answer sections.

Leerburg | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 935 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
You have made a lot of progress especially with the distractions. I would suggest turning suddenly when Ziggy gets ahead of you, you could say the command at the same time and then use the remote. Also if you are not already doing so when using the remote, be sure that he doesn't connect it with you. So when you use it, and he stops - turns toward you - praise him.
since i've removed the leash he's been about a short leash length away either to the side or front. now when i use the leash he's definitely pulling. i'll start new routes around a park to keep him guessing. thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
By the time he felt the stim he was already in hot pursuit.He'd stop and look confused so I'd yell Leave It! and call him back.Three days and three training sessions and his recall is amazing but he's still too interested in the cars.He obeys a leave it or a stay,but if he hears a car before I do he will still rush to the edge of the yard and stop.And if we are actively playing or training he doesn't show any interest.I have to be super vigilant still,so it was still a fail.But if I call him he stops whatever he's doing and runs to me full out,happy as can be
we're in the same boat, we'll be in the middle of his favorite game and if a passerby comes he'll face them and still engage with me at the same time. its a lot better now than when he would run to greet them....baby steps i suppose.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

just an update on our off leash training. ziggy has been off leash since early this summer. this weekend he attacked the neighbor's dog who was leashed during a walk, he even went after a very familiar packmate during his rage. fortunately, no one bit each other. were now confined to backyard duty and on-leash training starting back a zero (or minus 100 imo). i'm estimating he will be about 3 years old before he acts like an adult dog. we're in month 19 of 36. oy! trainer scheduled for a home visit this weekend. as always tips / suggestions welcome.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM

dang!

Jupiter Rising!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:21 PM

Well darn it!One step forward two steps back sometimes.
I've realized something interesting about Samson this summer.He's 2.5yrs old now and so much more responsive to what I want him to do.He actually seems comforted by being given commands when he's feeling a little anxious.It calms him when I make decisions for him.
Last week we were walking in town and got rushed by a dog that (thankfully) was tethered in a front yard.Samson jumped in front of me and growled.Eh!heel! and we didn't miss a step.Never touched the leash which was draped over my shoulders.Samson had no way of knowing the dog was tethered,it stopped just a few feet away.But he obeyed,recovered his composure immediately, and trusted me and boy does that feel great!Maturity and practice?I don't know.I'm sure you'll get Ziggy where you want him to be.You are a very patient and determined individual.Looking forward to more updates!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggytheSheprador View Post
just an update on our off leash training. ziggy has been off leash since early this summer. this weekend he attacked the neighbor's dog who was leashed during a walk, he even went after a very familiar packmate during his rage. fortunately, no one bit each other. were now confined to backyard duty and on-leash training starting back a zero (or minus 100 imo). i'm estimating he will be about 3 years old before he acts like an adult dog. we're in month 19 of 36. oy! trainer scheduled for a home visit this weekend. as always tips / suggestions welcome.
Were you using the e collar around other dogs early on?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

yes. i've noticed lately he's been non-responsive to the higher pulse corrections. probably will need to work with him at 70+ on the dogtra when he's excited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page