Who has the most training experience? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Who has the most training experience?

There are a lot of differences of opinion on this forum between trainers. I was hoping some people wouldn't mind listing the amount of time they have been training for sport or pp and a list of titles and how many titles. Breeders also welcome, what have your dogs achieved? How long have you been breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM

You are very trusting

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

Ugh! We've lost so many experienced people! I really miss Fast. He cracked me up

Slamdunc
lhczth
Cliff
Vandal
Steve Strom
Leesa

Those are a few of the ones I know have worked dogs, many of them for decades, and have a lot of knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 PM

Jax08,
Thanks!

I am honored that you would include me in a list with such Knowledgeable people. I would add your name to the list as well.

There are quite a few very knowledgeable people here, some excellent breeders and very experienced working dog folks.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Not me! lol This is only my first working dog. I'm still blissfully ignorant of all I do wrong!

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Not me! lol This is only my first working dog. I'm still blissfully ignorant of all I do wrong!
That statement earns some respect from me. To many people on here talk as though they have a life time of experience but when you look at their past posts or threads started and questions asked they have only been training for 2 or 3 years. Sometimes it's important to know what you don't know.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We've had GSDs since 1986, but until fairly recently, my experience consisted of training our own pet dogs. Sneaker was super easy, she hardly counts in terms of training experience since we only took one obedience class with her and that was actually enough. She lived to 14-1/2 years old.

By the time we got Cassidy in 2000, I had pretty much forgotten the little I'd learned about dog training from when Sneaker was a puppy. She was, um.... NOT easy. Cassidy had a whole host of temperament issues, including being severely leash reactive, and ended up being my crash course in dog training. I took numerous OB classes with her.

We lost her to a painful spinal disease at 4 years old and got Dena about a month later at 9 weeks old. She was the youngest puppy we'd had, Sneaker was 16 weeks old when we got her and Cassidy was 20 weeks. I set out teaching Dena everything I'd learned in all the classes I'd taken with Cassidy, and she was a fantastic dog. Because she was so great, we jumped at the chance to get her half sibling Keefer, when she was just over a year old. I ultimately wanted two dogs although I hadn't had any intention of them being so close in age. But by then she was practically perfect, so I felt like I could suspend her training for awhile to focus on him. He was also 9 weeks old when he came home. I did all the same foundation work with him that I had done when Dena was a pup. I had started agility classes with her shortly before we got Keef, and after a couple of classes with him, I went back and took did some more agility classes with her, but it was just for fun. We never came close to entering a trial.

Sadly, we also lost Dena young, she died of lymphoma when she was four years old. By then, Keefer was three, which was more along the lines of the age spacing I had originally intended. Sneaker and Cassidy were American lines, and Dena & Keefer are West German show lines.

It was tough losing two dogs so young, and we were not planning to start looking for a puppy for a few months. But then Halo's breeder posted pictures here, and some of the board members back then knew the breeder and trained with her. They had met Halo and thought she would be perfect for us, and encouraged us to contact the breeder. We had never had a working line dog before, so we weren't sure. We were also not sure about shipping a puppy all the way across the country that we'd never met, from a breeder that we'd never met. But in the end we decided we wanted her, and she was on a non-stop flight from the East coast to San Francisco a few days later. This was January 2009.

To be honest, I was a little nervous about having a working line puppy, so I basically started immediately and trained the crap out of her, lol! She was 10 weeks old when we got her, I worked with her at home for 3 weeks, and then we went through a variety of classes pretty much back to back until she was around a year old. She excelled, and was the star of her classes.

Finally, I decided I had enough basic obedience on her and it was time to try something fun, like agility or flyball. Agility classes are easy to find, but not flyball, so when I discovered a class not too far away at a convenient day and time, I signed her up. She. Loved. It. So, I looked for a more advanced class, and found one taught by a local flyball club. Eight and a half months later, she debuted at her first flyball tournament. That tournament was exactly four years ago tomorrow. Halo is currently ranked as the #26 GSD in the North American Flyball Association, out of a total of 340 GSDs that have been registered with the organization. She ran her fastest time a couple of weeks before her 6th birthday, and will get her Onyx award (20,000 total points) at her next tournament. She could be in the top 20 of her breed by the end of the year. Pretty proud of my girl.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 04-06-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Crowned Member

I think there are some here with shorter training careers than those mentioned above, but still have a wealth of knowledge. Baillif and Mycobraracer come to mind, there's more but my brain is tired, lol
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I think there are some here with shorter training careers than those mentioned above, but still have a wealth of knowledge. Baillif and Mycobraracer come to mind, there's more but my brain is tired, lol
Yes good call, my thoughts exactly! It would be hard to remember all the knowledgeable and list them. I'm sure I would forget some.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Master Member

This forum is full of really good people and info, for the most part. I personally know of a handful people on here that are very experienced with training GSD's and have many years experience; Wolfstraum and Leesa have really helped me out a lot and are as experienced as it gets when it comes to GSDs. This should make for an interesting thread

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page