If I train this... could it be a problem? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

If I train this... could it be a problem?

I had planned on training this when my girl got old enough, strong enough and brave enough... Now's the time.

I need her to be able to push a screen out and jump out a low window opening in an emergency. Yes, the window will be full open and the screen will probably be pushed out if I can do it, but in an emergency it may not. I have two low windows in the house that I want to train this on. They are emergency exits.

If an emergency arose now, and I needed to go out a window - I doubt she would follow - even if the house was on fire. If I had a medical issue and she needed to get out is another situation. In either case - as it stands now, it's something she's never done and I want to show her how to do it a couple of times and let her know it's ok.

I started the training today by throwing her fav ball out the bedroom window. She was on the sill about 1/3rd of the way out and balked there. If I would have closed the bedroom door and walked around outside to that window, I know she would have come sailing out. But, dummy me - an 11th hour thought.....

Once she does this a few times thru either escape window - might she do the same thing just when she wants out and I'm not home someday? Those windows will never be open without something in them (a fan made to fit the frame or a small window ac unit. It's the fan I'm worried about - could she take in her head one day to push it out in a non emergency?

This may sound confusing but in an emergency - I'm banking on my being able to get to one of the windows and the way I have the fan & ac units a mere 10 pounds of pressure on either unit will send them crashing right thru the cheap clip on screen and out the window (lol a good lean with my fat >>> will do the trick.- The ac wouldn't even need that because there's no screen on the back and it's finely balanced on just a small riser on the sill.

Hope this is clear and could use some probabilities on issues with training this - it's important IMO she learn this especially if I suddenly keel over dead someday and she needs to get out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

it may be easier and more practical to teach her to either bring you the phone. or even have a special "dog" phone that has basically 1 button that she is trained to push that will summon help.
I know that both of those are commonly trained SD tasks
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
it may be easier and more practical to teach her to either bring you the phone. or even have a special "dog" phone that has basically 1 button that she is trained to push that will summon help.
I know that both of those are commonly trained SD tasks
I had planned on doing that and that might work but is iffy - for reasons that my illness strikes suddenly and tends to affect my ability at dialing or speech (they are stroke like symptoms)... But at the very least I can get to one of these windows. The plan is to get to a door and get myself outside where I will be shortly found (busy area) but that's just a little longer route.

The windows are more related to fire or if I kack out in my sleep or something lol. If she gets out - an immediate red flag will be raised with my mail lady of 17 years and she will have LE over her to check out the problem and save Summer.

I plan to get that stupid thing that old people wear around their necks where you just have to push the button and LE is notified to check it out but can't afford it for a year or two. So in the meantime - I'm just trying to accommodate and plan for worst case scenarios... The one where the house is on fire and I have an 80lb dog that hides in a corner rather than bails with me out the window is my most immediate concern.... that happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:28 PM

If I taught my dogs to do that the big ones would hop out and help the little one down every opportunity,lol!If you did keel over(God forbid!)how would she understand she should leave you?
Service dog trainers may have a life alert type system that dogs can manipulate??

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
If I taught my dogs to do that the big ones would hop out and help the little one down every opportunity,lol!If you did keel over(God forbid!)how would she understand she should leave you?
Service dog trainers may have a life alert type system that dogs can manipulate??
Well.... in a worst case senario - she would leave me if she got thirsty enough and hungry enough and weirded out enough to want to get outside. It would be those drives and she is very friendly with neighbors that I think she would really want to check out of the doom hotel in those extreme conditions.... because she will be under duress to do so....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 PM

I hope I'm wrong,but I be too worried about her being able to get outside whenever she pleased.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

I think I would be looking into a service dog help phone /button. Or a life alert button for you but then you have to teach the dog to tolerate first responders entering.

Look @ Ablephone. Teach dog to call for help under these circumstances. Safer than teaching her to jump out a window & fun training project
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Once she does this a few times thru either escape window - might she do the same thing just when she wants out and I'm not home someday?
Might she? I would bet she will.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

First of all, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon! So enough doom and gloom. You got a life sentence just like the rest of us

Second of all, Sabi was taught to jump through windows. Out the window of the patrol truck, in windows of buildings we were searching, etc. One day while my husband and I were fighting I locked her in my spare room/office to prevent her getting involved. As the fight escalated, and moved outside, I suddenly had Sabi standing in between us. I was so focused on what was going on and keeping us safe nothing clicked in my head. Until later, when she settled down and started limping. She was about 10 at the time, my office window was about 8' off the ground and above the 5' wide dog run. She heard me yelling and true to training and instinct jumped out the open window to get to me, twisting as she dropped to avoid the fence.
The problem is, dogs don't have great depth perception. A window is a window. They can't really compute that this window is 4 feet from the ground but this one is 20. My house was built on a hill. Had she jumped out the bedroom window, well, I would have had a dead dog.
It never occurred to me, and probably doesn't occur to any dog handler, that the very useful act of teaching a dog to go through windows fearlessly could have disastrous consequences.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Woah, Thanks Sabis Mom and Steve. You guys just saved me from making a big mistake. I'll stick to getting the doors open in an emergency. She knows the yard and it's fenced front and back and she'll stay in the yard.

No, I'm probably not going anywhere for a while, not in my plans. Just want to be prepared. Fire is the biggy. I'll just peg a hook close to the escape window in the bedroom with a slip leash on it. Even if I go out the window and she refuses - with the slip leash I think I'll be able to get access to under her arms and be able to lug her through.

Thanks again for the warning on that... I'm glad my 11th hour "wait just a darn minute" is still working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page