Anyone do dog biking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Anyone do dog biking?

Hello, just wondering if any of you guys do dog biking? I have a 1.5 year old Czech German Shepherd and she has ton of energy. I usually play freebie with her or walk her for exercise. Now I am considering doing some mountain biking with her. Have you guys tried that and how did go? How many miles can she run with me, with breaks of course. Maybe 20 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Just researched and found start with 20 miles is too aggressive. Maybe 5 miles or so would be better? I take her for hiking quite often and a lot of trails we went are about 10 miles. She did great and still had a lot of energy afterwards.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

I would certainly not go further than 5 miles at this young age, given that you have had her conditioned, paw pads as well. Avoid hard pavement as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

It depends a bit on how fast you are biking. The downhills can be brutal if you are on a bike, with the extra pounding.

But if you are doing technical trails, and aren't going super fast, a dog like yours could do 20 miles with a bit of conditioning. Overheating is always something to watch out for. If she's off leash, she can self-regulate and jump in creeks to cool off and get a drink.

I go early morning to avoid traffic and for the cooler temperatures. Always watch the dog, and gage distance and speed by how she's doing. I'd stick to dirt trails, but if you're mountain biking, I assume that's a given!

And do teach her trail manners. Bikers can be vicious about sharing their trails, don't give them an excuse to complain about your dog, yield whenever possible and keep the dog out of the way of others.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

Here's a conditioning plan for the AD test

Sirius Dog

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 AM

You need to test her... after you do mountain biking 5 miles... you see her tired or not. If she still strong you can try to take her to walk in mountain as far as 10 miles. Don't forget that you need to count miles for taking her to back to home.

e.g: you bring her to walk as far as 5 miles then bring her back to home as far as 5 miles. So total is 10 miles.

Don't do mountain biking too fast... be slow because of her. And choose a mountain road not too uphill.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Elite Member

Yes, start with 5. 20 is quite a bit of pounding on their bodies. I have never gone 20 but 5-10 yes. And like people, build up her muscles muscles slowly. AND... and mountain bikers hate this, I always go slow on the downhills no matter how fit they are so that they are not pounding so hard on the joints. Yes they can do it and no I don't want them to do it. Depending on the ride, remember to carry water for her, she will need a lot, more than you.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the suggestions! They are all very helpful. I will start to do conditioning and make sure to take it slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page