Should i schedule training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Should i schedule training?

So i took Archer for a walk today and decided to teach him not to pull on the leash, we walked just around the block and it took about 45 min. It did not go so well. On the second of the four sides of the block he did great he walked with me and the leash was loose so i just kept giving him treats(a portion of his food) but the other sides were tough. Every time he pulled i would stop and wait till he sat then i would say "let's go" and repeat.

This has got me wondering if i am expecting too much too soon for the little guy. He is 11 weeks and a smart little dude. His current commands he listens to are sit, come, down(with treats) and potty training is almost perfect, if he needs to go he goes to the backdoor and let's out a few whines. Should i just work on the simple ones for now and wait until a few more weeks for the leash training? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

11 weeks?

Sounds like you're both doing well.

Don't over do it.

Take time to enjoy and play with the puppy.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post

Take time to enjoy and play with the puppy.
**** yeah !

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Banned

Just an FYI. This is very early for everything you mentioned. They have very short attention spans and most spend this time with bonding and familiarity with house, humans and yard.

The reason that works and is recommended is because bonding is 1st before training and more importantly - you are exposing them to diseases that may prove fatal to them on the streets. Do you understand about required vaccination completion for their best chance of protection?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Just an FYI. This is very early for everything you mentioned. They have very short attention spans and most spend this time with bonding and familiarity with house, humans and yard.

The reason that works and is recommended is because bonding is 1st before training and more importantly - you are exposing them to diseases that may prove fatal to them on the streets. Do you understand about required vaccination completion for their best chance of protection?
Thanks for the suggestions. I am loving this little guy and we play lot's. I will continue the simple commands and wait for harder ones for the moment. As far as walking he has had his first round of shots and ready for the next soon. Are you saying no walking around the block until all shots? I absolutely do not allow him to veer off to investigate other dogs messes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Elite Member

I would focus on a lot of engagement and attention work/play before asking that of him on a formal walk. Right now his environment is much more fun to him than you.

This is some stuff i worked with my pup at that age

http://youtu.be/DPB3_YI1c44

http://youtu.be/C7knSG6O_sg

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Will check out those vids. I guess i am amazed at his intelligence, although i must keep the mantra that he is still a baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page