wording vs end result - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

wording vs end result

Is it fair to say that if people refer to their dog as ' she is my baby' you can almost guarantee there is or will be a problem in the dynamics between owner and dog? This is solely based on my observations. I cringe when I hear the b-word (not talking about the female dog ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Master Member

I feel the same way.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

"baby" doesn't bother me. No, I don't think there is a connection between the word and any problems with the owner. I use it with my dogs, probably not as much as "my girl" and "my boy". Along with monster, monkey, and a variety of obscenities based on the incident.

"Furbaby"...makes me want to stab the person in the eye with a fork.

Last edited by Jax08; 03-16-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
"baby" doesn't bother me. No, I don't think there is a connection between the word and any problems with the owner. I use it with my dogs, probably not as much as "my girl" and "my boy". Along with monster, monkey, and a variety of obscenities based on the incidence.

"Furbaby"...makes me want to stab the person in the eye with a fork.
All of the above. I call Halo baby girl and Keefer baby boy, among other things. Doesn't mean that I actually treat them like babies, it's just a term of endearment. And Halo is still the pupster, although at 7+ years old she is clearly not a puppy!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

I provide care for my dogs - that means treats, food, toys, beds, etc. I consider those basic needs. Does it mean they don't get extra's like bandanas which I find cute? Sure they do, it doesn't hurt them and I like the way they look. I bought a dog stroller for a geriatric foster because he loved being outside but couldn't handle long walks.

So in the end, don't look at just one term and look at the overall picture instead. If the dog is healthy and happy then I don't care what you call it. I cringe when I see dogs that are obese to the point they can't walk, misbehave to the point they're menaces. But I cringe just as much when I see dogs abused

Just my two cents

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
And Halo is still the pupster, although at 7+ years old she is clearly not a puppy!
One of Delgado's nicknames is puppy and will always be

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM

Wolfy and gala,don't you have some silly nicknames for your dogs?Samson is Baby when he's cuddly and Goofus most other times

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Wolfy and gala,don't you have some silly nicknames for your dogs?Samson is Baby when he's cuddly and Goofus most other times
I do but they are not board appropriate

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Is it fair to say that if people refer to their dog as ' she is my baby' you can almost guarantee there is or will be a problem in the dynamics between owner and dog? This is solely based on my observations. I cringe when I hear the b-word (not talking about the female dog ).
I think where the problem starts is when the owner not only refers to their dog as their baby, but doesn't see their dog as they are. How could someone's "baby" be aggressive and dangerous?

I call my boys my babies all the time but I clearly know that my 85lb dogs can do serious damage under the right circumstances. This might make me seem paranoid to other people, but I am vigilant. I do get mad at my daughter when she stands with the front door open because one of my boys will door dash (working on it). One of my boys has been reactive in the past and was "diagnosed" fear aggressive when he was about 8 months old. I have specific management for him, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

The people who think their "babies" are harmless are the ones who do little training and usually have large problems on their hands. I hate to generalize but it's a pet peeve of mine.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

I called Daisy Baby Boo, Lucky has been baby boy for forever and Charlie gets baby when were snuggling. On the other hand I also have used a variety of less positive names when things weren't snuggly. I don't think the name in and of itself is indicative of the dynamic . People who say my dog wouldn't do that I wonder about the dynamic but I have my hands full with mine so it doesn't matter to me. Thunder and Chevy got called baby as well. I buy toys treats and Daisy had bandannas out the whazoo and don't even try to count Lucky's collection of balls and bandannas. so my answer reflects how I view my situation.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page