aggression question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

aggression question

hi everyone, i have a little problem on my hands and im unsure on how exactly to handle this so hopefully some of you can help, my sister currently fell onto hard times and her and her shiba inu jerry have moved back in with my 7 month GSD ellie and myself and my parents. well maybe a month back when ellie and jerry first met, the first enconter did not go well jerry lunged and bit her face, well needless to say we kept them seperated for some time and we would kind of acclimate them to one another slowly but surely things seemed to get better to the point where they could be together in the same room without any incidents well now that some time has passed ive noticed jerry has some serious aggression issues not only is it food but its toys and territory, and not just his toy and territory but hers as well! and now its come to a point where its starting to effect our training because ive already cleaned up half a dozen of ellies messes because she doesnt want to go the door and tell me she needs to go out because jerry will nip at her on her way through the kitchen, or if shes at the top of the stairs and she wants to come down jerry will wait at the bottom of the stairs and growl and bark at her if she starts going down the stairs. the final straw happened not more than an hour ago, my nieces came in for a visit and natually ellie was riled up because people were here well in my attempt to get her off the couch and put her in a sit stay here come jerry barrelling through the kitchen into the living room and bit my hand that was holding onto ellie collar. so my major question is how do i work around jerrys agression with ellie or do i go over my sisters head and work with jerry myself on his agression issues any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 PM

Well if it were me, I'd crate the aggressor. Take up all the toys and don't leave them laying about, just bring them out for playtime. Is there any way you can gate off some of the rooms? You gotta protect your dog before your sister's dog causes some behavior issues. I wouldn't let your sister's dog have free roam of the house, he definitely has not earned it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

Do you know how long your sister is going to be living with you?

This is what I would do:

Ellie needs to go potty outside. That is not optional. You need to go back to GO with her on that, which means a tight schedule, and supervision all the time. Take her out every 2 hours, on the hour, when she is not crated, and wait for her to potty -- but before you take her out, put the monster in a crate. Every two hours, pick the demon up and put him either in a pet yard (large x-pen set up in one of the rooms with toys and such in it) or put him in a crate. Then go to your dog, snap her leash on, and say, c'mon, let's go potty. Praise her when she potties outside.

Now, about that pet yard, you can set it up in a room where people generally are so no one feels left out or closed in a bed room with the door shut, isolated. I would work with your sister to have one of the dogs in the pet yard, and one of the dogs out, maybe your dog can be out from the time you get home through dinner, and her dog can be out from after dinner until bed time -- something like that.

Try to make it fair for both dogs, though the dogs probably will have less trouble with the arrangement than the people who feel their animal is being picked on.

Good luck with this. I am sorry. Sometimes, you have to give some ground, when it comes to family. Sometimes you have to give a lot. But, sometimes they do too, and even if the sister in question never does, someone else in your family may.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy831 View Post
Well if it were me, I'd crate the aggressor. Take up all the toys and don't leave them laying about, just bring them out for playtime. Is there any way you can gate off some of the rooms? You gotta protect your dog before your sister's dog causes some behavior issues. I wouldn't let your sister's dog have free roam of the house, he definitely has not earned it.

Yes, but we have two sisters, and their dogs, living in the parents' home. The OP may not have the right to do anything with her sister's dog. The parents should be managing this situation, but some parents would be saying, "the dogs don't get along so one needs to go the shelter." My parents might have said that when I was a kid. And no matter how bad the little tyrant is, I wouldn't want my sister to lose her dog. So, an approach of trying to work together might be much better.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy831 View Post
actually i do like the idea to bring up all the toys pretty simple way to to difuse one part of the situation!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Do you know how long your sister is going to be living with you?

This is what I would do:

Ellie needs to go potty outside. That is not optional. You need to go back to GO with her on that, which means a tight schedule, and supervision all the time. Take her out every 2 hours, on the hour, when she is not crated, and wait for her to potty -- but before you take her out, put the monster in a crate. Every two hours, pick the demon up and put him either in a pet yard (large x-pen set up in one of the rooms with toys and such in it) or put him in a crate. Then go to your dog, snap her leash on, and say, c'mon, let's go potty. Praise her when she potties outside.

Now, about that pet yard, you can set it up in a room where people generally are so no one feels left out or closed in a bed room with the door shut, isolated. I would work with your sister to have one of the dogs in the pet yard, and one of the dogs out, maybe your dog can be out from the time you get home through dinner, and her dog can be out from after dinner until bed time -- something like that.

Try to make it fair for both dogs, though the dogs probably will have less trouble with the arrangement than the people who feel their animal is being picked on.

Good luck with this. I am sorry. Sometimes, you have to give some ground, when it comes to family. Sometimes you have to give a lot. But, sometimes they do too, and even if the sister in question never does, someone else in your family may.
probably for another month or two at this point its whos going to move out first her and jerry or me and ellie. im still waiting for a loan officer to call me back so i can get my preapproval rolling but thats besides the point. i can actually put a gate up between the kitchen and our living room 99% of the time we are in the living room. ill keep the pointers in mind because like you said potty inside is not an option! and im willing to do whatever i need to i dont even care if they never get along i just dont want either one of them getting hurt. thank you for your words now its time i have a word with my sister!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yes, but we have two sisters, and their dogs, living in the parents' home. The OP may not have the right to do anything with her sister's dog. The parents should be managing this situation, but some parents would be saying, "the dogs don't get along so one needs to go the shelter." My parents might have said that when I was a kid. And no matter how bad the little tyrant is, I wouldn't want my sister to lose her dog. So, an approach of trying to work together might be much better.
You are right. It's a family situation so everyone needs to be on board with finding solutions. It would be less stressful to keep the dogs separated short term until the situation is under control. The OP stated that she got bit in one of the scuffles. It seems to be escalating.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

I'd have a serious talk with the sister about her dog... And would definitely keep them apart for now.... Especially if she's only there temporarily.. Totally not fair to the shepherd to have to live like he/she is.. and could very well cause behavioral issues with your dog..

Shiba Inu's are not the easiest of breeds to train, and lot of them do have aggression issues and can be quite nasty..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by G-burg; 03-16-2016 at 11:42 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

People have posted some good points already, I just want to add the need for obedience on both dogs. You may be working with your pup, but your sister needs to be encouraged to do the same. Your pup may be passive now, however that can change in time. There is also the possibility Jerry may pull his Napoleon act on the wrong dog. I would try diplomatically talking to my sister about training.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
People have posted some good points already, I just want to add the need for obedience on both dogs. You may be working with your pup, but your sister needs to be encouraged to do the same. Your pup may be passive now, however that can change in time. There is also the possibility Jerry may pull his Napoleon act on the wrong dog. I would try diplomatically talking to my sister about training.
While this is true, keep in mind that you can only change your own behavior, and your sister, with her small dog, might not get on board about training her dog.

It all may be too temporary with her, and it all may be something she just doesn't buy in to. Not everyone is on the internet learning everything they can about their dog. This doesn't mean they don't love them, it simply means they aren't as into dogs as you are.

Remember, that your sister is your sister, and siblings are more important than dogs in general. I mean, don't let maybe giving more on this than your sister, putting more into this than your sister, create a rift between you. Life is so short, and many things we do today, we regret down the line, when we can't take them back.

Certainly protect your dog, and train your dog, and work with your dog, and maybe make a suggestion or two to your sister, but don't allow the dogs to come between you, because that can be tragic and totally unnecessary when you look backwards.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page