Too Protective GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Too Protective GSD

I rescued a female 4 year old GSD about 4 days ago. She did not come from the best background but she had been around dogs of all sizes and genders. She is great around people, very protective over me but not aggressive to people at all. She shows occasional unpredictable aggression toward my 20 pound female dog. I keep my GSD on a leash when they are both together so I can control her. If the smaller dog comes near me, my GSD sometimes nips at her. How can I reinforce that it's okay for other people and dogs to be around me. My smaller dog is 8 months old and very playful, my GSD wants to play with her but she's mouthy and I'm scared of not being able to stop her if she tried to attack so I keep her on a leash. Could that be causing some of the strange behavior? Since my smaller dog is able to run freely and the GSD cannot yet. My smaller dog is very obedient--just energetic and a wiggle worm. My GSD is not yet-- but I am working on it. Any advice would be very helpful. I do not want to have to rehome this beautiful girl, but she needs to learn manners and I can't risk her hurting my smaller dog. Not, can I make both dogs live a sad life as they have to be separated at all times. Also, I work from home so have a lot of time to spend with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:06 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Emily,

I responded on one of your other threads. Starting multiple threads on the same subject is very confusing for members who are trying to help (so you may actually get less responses). If you are looking for more input, it's okay to bump up your own thread and politely ask for more information or advice, better than starting new threads all with the same question.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page