Quinn almost 15 weeks old, question or 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quinn almost 15 weeks old, question or 2

For any that don't know I train flushers and retrievers but Quinn is my first GSD. I'd like to do bite work with her and have a go in some of the games geared towards her breed. This is my busy time of the year with the gun dogs and guiding hunts hunts so we haven't made a training day with the group we are joining so I really haven't gotten myself a mentor in our journey yet. The linked video is nothing special by any means, just some simple OB stuff with the added visible distraction of one of her tugs. I do this with the gun dogs early on with a live bird it helps them with being able to switch on and off while maintaining drive.

My questions are

When do you teach out?
Is just holding it still to get them to release ok?
If not should I just let her decide?
How does Quinn look? Body shape/size for her age
Anything else, one with experience in GSD and Bite work, from the video that I need to do/not do based on what little is seen?
Thanks ahead for your replies.

Watch "Quinn 14 week GSD basic OB with toy as an added distraction" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ciRTCKJrkyY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Usually I use treats and food drive with her with great focus and results, but as soon as a toy/tug is in view, food drive is nonexistent.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

She looks great. From what I remember Michael Ellis and Ivan Balabanov both teach the out by holding the tug still till the dog drops it, then immediately rewarding and tugging. I trained the "drop it" by trading higher value items. This seems to have transitioned to the "out" while tugging. I can say out or drop and he spits the tug out, and I can get him to re-engage at will.

I would recommend getting the Ivan or ME videos. Both are great. Some say ME videos are too long and verbose...for novices, we may need things repeat 10x before we get it.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Hi Clay, I watched your video and she is quite the looker! I can't answer any of your questions for ya, I've never been involved with IPO but I'm sure someone who is will be online soon and be able to help you. I just wanted to say I enjoyed your video!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I think you may be putting a bit too much control on the "out" and toy right now.

I would be letting her win it a lot. Not asking for the out unless you have another toy to give. You want her to feel powerful with it, not suppressed by waiting for the command to out.

Doesn't mean you can't teach an out, but I would do it by playing good with the toy then you drop it and "activate" a different toy. You want her to want the toy that's active. So she drops the first one and engages with the second.

That's what I would do at this age. Build her confidence and "power" for the toy. You want to reward her for being pushy with it. Reward her for bringing it back and asking to reengage.

She is stunning! Looking good!!

Only other thing, I would wait till she is a just a bit bigger to use that high of a platform if she is going to be jumping off it. Use one about 1/2 that height.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with letting her win a lot.

She's doing a good job but mine always do best with immediate rewards at that age.

I'm not a trainer by any means, just an old, longtime owner of gsds

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Usually her day is full of food rewards throughout the day in small sessions. This was one of the few times I've tried using a toy as a reward and knew something was lacking as she has zero interest in food while a toy is visible.

The concept of "tug" is foreign to me in training, as stated before, I'm a gundog trainer, and "tug" is a no no early on as my goal with gun dogs is a soft mouth with solid retrieve to hand. With gun dogs a solid yet soft "hold" command is taught using a food reward as trade for smooth delivery to hand.

I'm not using any verbal cues at this time to out her on a toy just attempt to hold it still until she gives it up. I'll definitely be trying the multiple toy advice today in order to let her win more often.

She has been going through the same type of confidence training I do with my gun dogs. Finding her toy in progressively tougher areas of fall always keeping her success rate high with lots of praise and walks in public and high traffic areas with lots of food redirection when things get her on edge. (Which at this point is rarely) lots of walks in the woods asking her to overcome more and more challenging obstacles (downed trees, flowing creeks, the pond, high foliage, mud etc.) She gets plenty of socialization with other dogs, although she can be a bit intense for some, she's not one I would leave unattended with other dogs for her safety at this time, but once she dumps her energy can be absolutely perfect and cuddly with some other dogs, mostly mature males. Her socialization with people is constant as she goes to work with me daily. She's always a tad aloof with strangers but warms up quickly and never forgets someone she has previously met. There have been a couple of people that she hasn't completely warmed up to. She alert barks on things at times (noises, people approaching her to fast but doesn't obcess over it. She rarely has a fear response (barking and moving back and or running to me) usually standing ground observing or moving forward to investigate further.

Again I appreciate any and all advice on her training in this new to me direction with a pup. I think she's perfect, it's up to me not to screw her up. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page