Trainer told me my puppy was vicious! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Trainer told me my puppy was vicious!

My puppy is 14 weeks old. We've had her for about 6 weeks. I took to her a "dog trainer" today. She told me she works under a lady who trains dogs in Beverly Hills and was taught from the best & I actually got her number from that webpage. Anyway I show up and see all their shepherds, about 8 of them, and they all are beautiful and very responsive to her. Im a new dog owner so I figured she must know what she is doing. She puts a prong collar on my puppy and I tell her I don't know much about those things and Im not sure if its safe to use on my little one. She tells me its completely fine and tried to get my puppy to heel for her, among other things like down position. My puppy was hating every second of the prong collar. My puppy Willow even tried to bite her a few times and actually got the trainer pretty good twice. Then she told me that my puppy was vicious, extremely dominant and mean. She actually called my puppy a problem dog. I have never seen my puppy act the way she was acting while the "trainer" was working with her.

She then asked me where I got the puppy and about her parents. I told her that her dad was a AKC registered dog who they wanted to train to be a cop dog. Im guessing he didn't make the cut and was eventually rehomed and bred with a german shepherd who wasn't registered.She told me that my puppy had working lines from her dads side and weak nerve from her mom.

My puppy is very sweet towards us at home and enjoys our company. She follows us around the house everywhere. She used to nip a lot but has gotten extremely better. She's never shown aggression towards us. I feel like she is describing a different dog, not my puppy. Part of me thinks she doesn't know what the heck she is doing, because she put a prong collar on my puppy and told me she uses them on her adult dogs as well. Part of me is a little bit worried that there might be some truth to the things she said, only because she has more experience with these dogs than I do. I feel like I've just been given a terrible prognosis but how could she know all those things just by spending one hour with her.

Just had a terrible first experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

time to start doing some research on your own about training, etc. I would not blindly rely on a trainer(even if they were super recommended, it always comes down to who is recommending)
Quote:
Im a new dog owner so I figured she must know what she is doing. She puts a prong collar on my puppy and I tell her I don't know much about those things and Im not sure if its safe to use on my little one. She tells me its completely fine and tried to get my puppy to heel for her, among other things like down position. My puppy was hating every second of the prong collar. My puppy Willow even tried to bite her a few times and actually got the trainer pretty good twice. Then she told me that my puppy was vicious, extremely dominant and mean. She actually called my puppy a problem dog. I have never seen my puppy act the way she was acting while the "trainer" was working with her
Do not allow a trainer to put a collar on your puppy that you have no knowledge on. You need to advocate for your puppies well being(mentally as well as physical). This trainer should not have put a prong on your puppy until the trainer explained to YOU why they were doing so.
Find a club that knows the breed, and get with a handler or two that can mentor you if possible.

Very responsive to her, or very submissive to her? Did you see the difference in the dogs body language? I'd rather have a dog with confidence and not submissive, but engaged with the handlers. What did you see actually?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Run, run, fast as you can and take your puppy with you!

What a %#^&* of a 'trainer.'

Any fool can coerce a dog to do their bidding, but a GSD will learn, then you positively reinforce and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

nipping is normal for a GSD puppy.

She's too young for a prong collar.

A 14 week old pup "agressive?" I don't think so!!

Your instincts are right on. Don't let this woman's assessment worry you for a second.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Find a new trainer immediately.Seriously,do NOT let her near your puppy again.Willow was scared and hurt and only defended herself.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
time to start doing some research on your own about training, etc. I would not blindly rely on a trainer(even if they were super recommended, it always comes down to who is recommending)

Do not allow a trainer to put a collar on your puppy that you have no knowledge on. You need to advocate for your puppies well being(mentally as well as physical). This trainer should not have put a prong on your puppy until the trainer explained to YOU why they were doing so.
Find a club that knows the breed, and get with a handler or two that can mentor you if possible.

Very responsive to her, or very submissive to her? Did you see the difference in the dogs body language? I'd rather have a dog with confidence and not submissive, but engaged with the handlers. What did you see actually?

Since Im a new owner its hard for me to say FOR SURE but thinking back on it, I did see them being very submissive. The ears on a puppy went all the way down when they asked it to go in the down position. To me, that is a behavior that shows they are scared. And yes I won't be letting anyone use any kind of weird equipment on her again. Total puppy parent failure on my part!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
Run, run, fast as you can and take your puppy with you!

What a %#^&* of a 'trainer.'

Any fool can coerce a dog to do their bidding, but a GSD will learn, then you positively reinforce and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

nipping is normal for a GSD puppy.

She's too young for a prong collar.

A 14 week old pup "agressive?" I don't think so!!

Your instincts are right on. Don't let this woman's assessment worry you for a second.
We are never going back there again. That was the worst experience of my life. I want training to be a fun positive experience, not negative and dreadful! She basically couldn't get my puppy to be submissive to her with her stupid collar so she just said all these things were wrong with her.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Find a new trainer immediately.Seriously,do NOT let her near your puppy again.Willow was scared and hurt and only defended herself.
I think that is exactly why she bit her! Poor baby, I feel horrible about it. I seriously can't believe how hard its been to find a trainer who works with working dogs specifically.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 PM

Ridiculous!!!! No need for a trainer at 14 weeks anyways, and no way is your puppy agressive at that age. Keep Away!!!!!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

are you limiting yourself to only Santa Barbara?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
are you limiting yourself to only Santa Barbara?
I've been looking for a german shepherd trainer here in Santa Barbara/Ventura/San Luis Obispo area for 6 weeks with no luck so at this point Im open to driving a little farther. Do you know anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page