How to teach 5 year old GS to socialize with other dogs? HELP!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

How to teach 5 year old GS to socialize with other dogs? HELP!!!!

Really hoping you guys can help me with this , it will be long post but i hope you will take the time to read it and offer some assistance.

My sister has two dogs 6 year old English Mastiff and 5 year old female GS.

English Mastiff is neutered and they socialized him from young age so he has no issues with other dogs. GS on the other hand is not spayed and she has had minimal contact with other dogs ...my sister said because she was not spayed most places would not let her around other dogs.

As you can imagine when i take them out for walk anytime the GS sees another dog she goes absolutely NUTS. She also pulls on leesh during walks (my sister never bothered to teach her not to) so now i am trying to teach this dog something she was suppose to learn when she was a puppy. Here is similar way how she acts if you watch this Ceaser 911 episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YWkh0C8VUU

I can get her to sit down when she sees the dog but her ears and face is just following the dog and stars barking. If i stand infront of her to block the other dog view she will move to side until she can see the dog and continue barking.

Other then those two things she is a great dog behaves very well in house, can do many different tricks, never have any other issues with her. So i am hoping i can get some guidance from other people on here that have maybe had a similar issue with the dog and fixed it.

I figure the first thing i have to do is teach her to walk next to me and see me as the alpha (i walk the dog all the time now so its pretty much my dogs now). I am thinking she is going nuts every time she sees a dog becasue she feels like she is protecting me...So i have started following Ceaser's training and have managed to have her walk next to me instead of in front of me during walks but it only has to be me and her ...English Mustiff cant come with us or she goes back to her usual hunting mode pulling sniffing and going infront of me, nothing seems to work if English Mustiff is with us. This kinda sucks because they are used to always going on walks together so the one that stays in the house always cries when i take the other for a walk. It also means that i have to do the walk twice since i have to walk one by one. Can you guys offer any assistance of training her how to walk next to me instead of all over the place and possibly having her do it when i walk the Mastiff too. Currently i use the trick where if she starts pulling i lithely tap her with my back foot and usually it seems to do t he trick if its only me and her but doesnt work if other dog is with us.

Also how can i socialize her with other dogs so that she can see that not every dog is out there to attack us. Every time she sees a dog she goes NUTS so obviously the other person is not ok with them letting them meet (i have asked a few times). To be fair i wouldnt let a crazy dog like that meet my dog too and its prolly a bit dangerous because a fight may break out. My hope is that if i can teach her to walk next to me and see me as alpha she will not go crazy when she sees other dogs because she wont feel the need to protect me... but in many of the Ceaser 911 videos i saw he has to actually take the dog and let him meet 5-10 of his dogs to rehabilitate the dog. How can i do this , obviously i dont have 10 dogs i can have her meet like Ceaser does.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this issue...its really embarrassing when i take her for a walk and she starts going nuts barking and pulling and i am sure other people are thinking what i would be thinking "why dont you train taht dog idiot" lol .

Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

UGH how does he make it so easy in this video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjub9dCBiv8
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 PM

First put on a prong collar during walks, that stops the pulling. Second, call a trainer and start lessons. As for socializing, you can ask the trainer to introduce stable and calm dogs to yours. It's too early to let your dog meet random dogs on the street for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

My suggestion to you is 2 fold.

1.Stop watching Caesar Milan and get rid of "Alpha" in your vocabulary.

2. Hire a trainer to work with you and her to desensitize her and get her under control.

I know that is oversimplified. But honestly, trying to walk someone through decifering WHY their dog is acting aggressive and then step by step how to fix it, is not really possible on the interwebs.

There are many many reasons a dog could be showing this behavior, from fear, insecurity, aggression, excitement and without actually seeing the dog, you can't know.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Banned

OK first a couple of things, you should stop with the dog on the street meet ups! That is a very poor policy and with "that" dog your quickly looking at a " how to break up a dog thread in the making!"

Second yes the other dog throws a fit bt "right" now you have no choice but to walk them one at time, so good call on your part!

The Cesar thing ...yeah everyone see's his work but he is not a Dog Trainer, if he were he would explain what he is doing when he takes control of "some of those badly behaved dogs!

Watch some episodes of the "Dog Whisperer" again but this time watch what he does when he takes control of the dog. Usually he takes off all the "crap" an owner has on the dog and replaces it with a Slip Lead Leash ( a short length of nylon rope with a noose" he positions it high on the dogs neck and a "slight" "gentle" tug "sideways" is all he needs!

AFAIK he never actually explains any of that?? But for someone that does ... have a look at the first video clip here:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

And if you look closely ... you'll notice he is using a Flat Leash and a Regular Collar! So that and "expecting" the dog to "not give" him grief, is a part of his magic, now you know!

But I got more first more on the Slip Lead Leash and a bit about other tools is here:

Slip Lead leash - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And teaching your dog to "ignore" other dogs is here:

Teach your Dog to ignore other dogs. - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Ask questions and welcome aboard ... "we're" here to help.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your replies!

So these slip leashes should not be used ?

http://www.amazon.com/Mendota-Products-2-Inch-6-Feet-Black/dp/B00074W3RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455420223&sr=8-1&keywords=slip+leash
It has 809 positive reviews and many are claiming that it help train their dog not to pull.

I am guessing once you train the dog you can use regular leash then... surely that slip leash cant be worse then her literally strangling her self pulling forward when she sees a dog.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 PM

Slip leash is the same as a choke collar. The dog stops pulling eventually because its breathing is restricted. The moment you use a different collar or leash, the pulling will start again.

What you want is to teach the dog to walk with you and its easier to achieve that with a prong collar without choking her out.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzz View Post
Slip leash is the same as a choke collar. The dog stops pulling eventually because its breathing is restricted. The moment you use a different collar or leash, the pulling will start again.

What you want is to teach the dog to walk with you and its easier to achieve that with a prong collar without choking her out.
Uh No, more accurately it could be used as a "Dominant Dog Collar" by the skilled users but that is not how it works. For those interested in "understanding" how to use a SLL "correctly" ... it's in my thread.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Thanks all for your replies!

So these slip leashes should not be used ?

Amazon.com: Mendota Products Slip Lead: Pet Supplies

It has 809 positive reviews and many are claiming that it help train their dog not to pull.

I am guessing once you train the dog you can use regular leash then... surely that slip leash cant be worse then her literally strangling her self pulling forward when she sees a dog.
Yep that's them but as I said say in my links.

"The tool doesn't train the dog you have to understand how to use it." If you're "struggling with the dog your doing it wrong! (Or I should have, I wrote those awhile ago.)

But when used "properly" an observer will see "nothing" at all happening??

Hmm ... OK I checked out your link and I see he is using a SLL! And yep that is how it's used and what it looks like! And you can see he is not "choking the dog" but again he skips a lot of detail as he most likely thinks .. "no big deal, anyone can do this??"

His focus is on dg "psychology" not dog training! Most likely when he first put the SLL on the dog, the dog struggled and fought and Cesar stood still and waited for the dog to "stop" and wait for directions??

In my experience that takes less than three minutes?? He's big on the finger pokes and the heel taps. A "slight" tug "sideways" accomplishes the same thing!

If you want to try using a SLL, you don't need to buy anything. Take note of how to position it, the clip in my SLL thread better explains but you form the letter P and the loop with the dog to your left, goes over the dog's head and the leg of the P is at the top.

You can do the same thing with the leash you already have, just put the long end through the handle form the letter "P" and there you go!

The only difference is that you won't have the tab, to keep the loop snug and in position. So you kinda have to sorta, kinda guide it to keep there but after a few minutes, if you get it right it doesn't really matter and the loop can drop.

And again in the clip you linked "note" he does not need a death grip on the leash. He's barely holding the leash at all! But don't try this first time out where there may be other dogs or serious distractions, if you get the concept down such situations are easy to deal with but "baby steps" starting out.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Listen to gsdsar and find a good trainer to work with. Too many people giving advice on message boards that have no clue about what they are doing.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page