Marine Air Horn - How Do I Use It? lol - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Marine Air Horn - How Do I Use It? lol

It just arrived! Shoreline Horn Klaxon (8 oz can) recommended for up to 64' boats and all sporting events.

I will be carrying it on dog walks to use as a deterrent for stray dogs.

One suggestion here was to desensitize my dog to it before I start to carry it.

Question is - like the other active post where the OP's dog was on a leash but was the attacker - my dog is also dog aggressive. So - should I really desensitize her to it as if there is a problem with an aggressive stray heading for us?? I want both dogs to think twice about progressing into a fight . It is likely that my dog will be ramped up also. I only want to use this to try to get the stray to back off and have time to get my dog turned around and headed out of the area.

Has anyone used one of these before? Got a great deal on Amazon by the way (big 8ox can w/horn for 14 something 2 day priority shipping included from one of the sellers (it was listed at 9.99 + shipping) Others same product 18+ more on shipping.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

This might be a stupid question, as I have never heard a marine air horn up close and personal that I am aware of, but if a dog is not sensitive to loud or unexpected noises, or even gets ramped up with sounds such as gunshots, will such dog be deterred?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
This might be a stupid question, as I have never heard a marine air horn up close and personal that I am aware of, but if a dog is not sensitive to loud or unexpected noises, or even gets ramped up with sounds such as gunshots, will such dog be deterred?
Hard to describe what the Marine Air Horn triggers in people when one is blasted right beside you when you're not expecting it

I think it will be effective for a momentary distraction. I also carry the dog mace.

My dog is "immune" to loud noises she is familiar with such as jake brakes from big rigs, motorcycles or thunderstorms. Her train of thought will always be broken for very loud noises that she has not had an experience with. That's why I'm hesitant to "condition" her to this newest probably loudest noise she will ever hear. I just don't want to shock her so bad if in that situation to have her go totally blind with fear and bolt because she will have the prong on.....

I also envision using this in situations where people are with an off leash dog and I warn them but they say "oh don't worry - he's friendly" once I've warned - the blast from the air horn is going to rock their world. This is the best way I can think of and the kindest way. You may recall - I have been carrying the mace and an ice pick......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:26 PM

I don't think I would try to desensitize her to it.Don't you think it would be painful for any animal with sensitive hearing?Those darn things hurt my ears!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 PM

Read#24 on the Alpha Roll thread about scaring dogs with noise as you do your research.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I don't think I would try to desensitize her to it.Don't you think it would be painful for any animal with sensitive hearing?Those darn things hurt my ears!
Yes, I do think it would be painful dogma - however most of the alternatives are more painful, damaging and expensive (vet bills).

It seems to me - the most humane way to try to stall a lose charging dog that has your leashed dog in it's sites for an attack.

There's a wealth of tips on the joggers blogs about stray dogs. They are often faced with charging dog situations because they are often invading a dog's "perceived territory" as well as doing a really good representation of a prey animal (running).

A new one I just read about moments ago which may also be useful to me is to just bump or sit yourself on a parked car to set off the car alarm. Is that great or what?!! This is great for a woman alone walking at night too. - Find a parked car - alert the world and make whoever's bothering you vanish into the shadows.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Read#24 on the Alpha Roll thread about scaring dogs with noise as you do your research.
That post pertains to puppies. I would never think of doing that to a puppy. My dog is almost 2, dog aggressive and so non- reactive to most things that it's scary. I don't there's a direct comparison here.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 PM

I don't mean not to use it if needed.I think it would be an excellent deterrent.My thought was not to practice with it at home.It would scare poor Summer and hurt her ears.I just think it would create new problems.That is an excellent tip about the car alarms.Never would have thought of that!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 PM

You do what you think is bestI hate loud noises myself,and I cringe just thinking of one of those horns going off close to me.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
You do what you think is bestI hate loud noises myself,and I cringe just thinking of one of those horns going off close to me.
Thanks for your comments. I'm just thinking I might let her hear it once when she's 40 or 50 feet away in the yard - just very briefly so she has a one time association with it, that I was there and everything was ok and I didn't react like the world was ending..... I will ignore it and not focus on her.

Unless I hear back from someone that has direct experience with these things, I guess that's the way I'll go. I will conceal it though so she can't sniff it out and determine it's harmless like she does other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page