High prey drive: commands in slow motion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Question High prey drive: commands in slow motion

I have a gsd female that have a very high prey drive and lots of energy in general. She is very motivated by balls, frisbees, tugs etc and will work for it. Her absolute favorite is the two frisbees we use and her drive goes over the top. Some of the times when I take her to the backyard to play some frisbee she is doing the "sit" and "down" commands reeeally slow. Sometimes she mixes up the commands and is going "down" instead of "sit" or suddenly doing the "backing up", which I use to use sometime. Sometimes she stops in the middle of the command with the elbows in the air when "down" or ass not on the ground when "sit", like shes too ready for me throwing it.

It seems like she is so focused on the frisbee that she doesnt really connect with what I am saying or not focusing on me enough, she just wants the toy and waiting for me to throw it. Like her drive is boiling over. We do schutzhund and this doesnt really happen there, even though her drive then is over the roof high.

She use to do this when she was younger (now 15 months old) and I notice she has started to do it now again every now and then. It doesnt happen with other toys really and it doesnt happen everytime with the frisbee either.

It really annoying and at the same time very hilarious because it looks so silly

Any advice for this? Stop training when she is in this state of mind? Throw the frisbee immediately when doing correct position and she will finally get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
It seems like she is so focused on the frisbee that she doesnt really connect with what I am saying or not focusing on me enough, she just wants the toy and waiting for me to throw it. Like her drive is boiling over.
I think its just that simple. I would just stick to something that is either out of sight or at least doesn't load her up like that. I did like frisbee's for the send out with one dog though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

Deja is like that . I just don't throw it, until she follows up the command. That taught her quickly. Or I have walked away and putting the toy in my pocket. Worked well too. Remember, you give them what they want if they do what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Knighted Member

I have found that when I use the command "Eyes" and wait until Newlie makes eye contact with me that he seems to be able to listen and focus better on what I am saying.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for commenting on this. Newlie and wolfy dog, I will try both of your advices and see if she is able to get it and focus better when it happens.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM

She makes the frisbee sound like it is the greatest invention in the world. Sounds like she is super excited for it.
You could try to first start out with something else, such as a ball. A couple tosses first to remind her the importance of those commands, plus a quick little burn off of energy/excitement, before getting to that marvelous flying disc.

I now have the image of a gsd sitting down and staring up, as someone holds a frisbee, and she's just thinking, "it's...beauuuuutifuuullll" stuck in my mind.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saito View Post
She makes the frisbee sound like it is the greatest invention in the world. Sounds like she is super excited for it.
You could try to first start out with something else, such as a ball. A couple tosses first to remind her the importance of those commands, plus a quick little burn off of energy/excitement, before getting to that marvelous flying disc.

I now have the image of a gsd sitting down and staring up, as someone holds a frisbee, and she's just thinking, "it's...beauuuuutifuuullll" stuck in my mind.
Haha, well that image in your head is pretty much exactly what it also looks like IRL. She indeed seems to think its the most beautiful and best invention ever made, silly silly dog. Even though schutzhund is the favorite sport from what I know, but there it doesnt happen.. or is it the second fav. sport after all?

I will try to use the ball first and see whats happens. I have so far tried to hide the frisbee or wait out until she does the command correctly.. so far she maybe does it more right, but the speed is definitely not there, stupid, not figured out yet that she will get it faster the faster she does the command Otherwise she is usually pretty fast doing commands, but not with the precious frisbee.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

She sounds like Titan!!! Titan has a lower drive with tennis balls than a tug or larger ball (soccer, kickball, etc), or Frisbee. He loses his dang mind for an oversized ball or Frisbee though. Same deal. We recently taught him to "go around." This was because he was so amped up when we were kicking a ball he wouldn't stay out of the way when kicking and we may or may not have had a couple ball meet dog incidents.. lol. This command is when he is in front of me and I say "go around" he goes around my left side behind me to my right side into an immediate down. Well he does the slow motion down too.. almost anticipating the throw or kick so he won't have to do so much work bolting from a down, instead he's halfway up already.

Initially I just waited until he went down on his own and he got the reward.. but he would still do it initially and wait.. then realize and it was taking too long for me. lol. What I ended up doing instead of waiting (which he would get after some time) is taught him "all the way." Sounds a little annoying to teach a second command but it has worked for us.. he has pretty much gotten now that I mean all the way when I tell him "Down" but I still have to remind him form time to time with an "all the way" if it's an extra high drive reward.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Crowned Member

I also use "Around" to get her in the sitting heel position or otherwise we'd both be dead. I don't release her until the ball lies still or is hidden from her view or she'd go in a dead run and makes a flying halt, possibly injuring herself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I also use "Around" to get her in the sitting heel position or otherwise we'd both be dead. I don't release her until the ball lies still or is hidden from her view or she'd go in a dead run and makes a flying halt, possibly injuring herself.
We do this too.. I started it when I wanted to learn to control him when he's in his high drive state.. he's progressed but we still have lots of work to do, lol.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page