Dominant dog collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dominant dog collar

I recently witnessed a demonstration of the use of a dominant dog collar on a dog reactive/aggressive dog and was curious if anyone in here has used this tool for this specific purpose and what their experience was regarding the efficacy of this particular collar.....and if you care to elaborate, the method in which it was used.

Thanks,

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 PM

i'm interested in this as well. but what's difference between this and a choke chain? seems like its a nylon version of the choke chain. i'd be interested in purchasing one too if someone can help distinguish the benefits.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggytheSheprador View Post
i'm interested in this as well. but what's difference between this and a choke chain? seems like its a nylon version of the choke chain. i'd be interested in purchasing one too if someone can help distinguish the benefits.
From what I gathered.....the DD collar is much more of a focused effect vs a chain....very little pressure is required on behalf of the human or the dog to produce the consequence.

I'll wait for others more knowledgeable to answer your question better than I have.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Banned

LOL ... I had said to someone that nope not gonna bring up a "DDC" to "folks" that are having a cow over a freaking "Bonker! But if I were to it would have gone something like this:

I have seen, Sean O'Shea, this guy:

Los Angeles Dog Trainer - Dog Aggression Training - Dog Behavior Modification

Lately walking dogs and he has two leashes?? On one leash a "Prong Collar" and on the other (a short traffic leash) attached to a DDC?? I knew something was up as it was a recent change?? Well, he must have found that a lot of his clients were struggling with "Prong Collar Corrections!"

So he just changed it up and used a new tool for corrections ... a DDC. When he stops and the dog starts to act a fool, he just applies gentle upward pressure on the DDC to just lift the dogs front feet and the dog shuts up. He doesn't say a word and the dog gets the message.

He explains it in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_tfAVvFdA

I was stunned as I realized I could do the same thing with a SLL never had the need but I could.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Nylon choke collars of that design have been around for many years. I had one with my first GSD in 1985 before I ever heard of a prong collar. That is what the trainer used. Nylon gave a crisper cleaner correction (if it was properly sized) than the old chain that went over the head.

Frawley came up with a new marketing approach.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post

When he stops and the dog starts to act a fool, he just applies gentle upward pressure on the DDC to just lift the dogs front feet and the dog shuts up. He doesn't say a word and the dog gets the message.

This is what I witnessed.....nary a word and minimal pressure.....don't even know if the dog's front paws left the ground.

SuperG
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
This is what I witnessed.....nary a word and minimal pressure.....don't even know if the dog's front paws left the ground.

SuperG
As Sean, said "just barely" would look exactly like what you saw, at a distance but the essence is still the same, light gentle upward pressure and the dog gets the "message."

Where did you see this???

I have seen clips of him walking dogs and noticed a change in the "number of tools" he was using?? As I usually listen to his Q&A Saturdays I figured sooner or later he would get around to explaining and he did.

Most likely he found clients "struggling with proper "Prong Collar" corrections and added a tool, that he felt he could get his less skilled clients to use properly??
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
LOL ... I had said to someone that nope not gonna bring up a "DDC" to "folks" that are having a cow over a freaking "Bonker!

Well, he must have found that a lot of his clients were struggling with "Prong Collar Corrections!"

So he just changed it up and used a new tool for corrections ... a DDC. When he stops and the dog starts to act a fool, he just applies gentle upward pressure on the DDC to just lift the dogs front feet and the dog shuts up. He doesn't say a word and the dog gets the message.

I was stunned as I realized I could do the same thing with a SLL never had the need but I could.
Every time I read about people struggling to put prongs on and yanking and cranking their dogs till the sun goes down in lieu of training the dog, or themselves learning how to properly use it to accomplish their means, I think of the DDC. Like you, I just keep my mouth shut because you know you can't say nothin' bad about their prong collars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Nylon choke collars of that design have been around for many years. I had one with my first GSD in 1985 before I ever heard of a prong collar. That is what the trainer used. Nylon gave a crisper cleaner correction (if it was properly sized) than the old chain that went over the head.

Frawley came up with a new marketing approach.
The difference is that the DDC is fitted right up under the ears like a prong, and it has a clasp which connects to a dead ring making putting it on and removing it a walk in the park. No struggling, no strength necessary.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

I have and use dominate collars. How I use them changes for every dog. I'm currently working an aggression case where the first session I put one on the dog. The reason is the dog the second in came out of the tuck went crazy trying to bite. The dog drug the handler around on a choke chain. The handler was "popping" the choke. That doesn't "correct" the dog, it just amps it up to bring out more aggression. The dominate allows the handler to control the dog, stay calm and get the dog into a calmer state of mind that we can work with. The important part is to remember that it doesn't "fix" the behavior, it just squelches it. It helps to keep things calm so I can work with the handler on the real issue without the dog trying to eat everything in sight.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I have and use dominate collars. How I use them changes for every dog. I'm currently working an aggression case where the first session I put one on the dog. The reason is the dog the second in came out of the tuck went crazy trying to bite. The dog drug the handler around on a choke chain. The handler was "popping" the choke. That doesn't "correct" the dog, it just amps it up to bring out more aggression. The dominate allows the handler to control the dog, stay calm and get the dog into a calmer state of mind that we can work with. The important part is to remember that it doesn't "fix" the behavior, it just squelches it. It helps to keep things calm so I can work with the handler on the real issue without the dog trying to eat everything in sight.

Yes, it calms the dog so you can train it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page