Training a Challenging Dog... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Training a Challenging Dog...

Last night when leaving training, Cuervo was once again made an example when my trainer stated that "Some people start the sport with a pet, some start with a Lamborghini and then some people start with a dog like Cuervo...".

He's a very black and white dog, there can be no grey areas however he wants everything on his terms and will fight you until he realizes he's not getting his way. There is some handler aggression there, which is managed for the most part. I know that in training I have to remain calm or it will just increase whatever conflict is going on.

We've had our struggles which I've reached out on here for advice with secondary obedience in protection and after shelving protection for a while and letting him grow up a bit more, we've started working together in that aspect and I've learned how to handle him better thus eliminating the conflict there.

The beauty of him is he's only difficult when we train, around the house he's a completely different dog while his off switch still remains to be found but he's calm, a sweetheart with my toddler pretty much a completely different dog but he's also has strict boundaries.

Any advice on training a dog who's real reward is the fight? Even in protection the bite is not the reward. This is my first working line and my "learning" dog.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Well keeping calm is definitely a start. You are correct in not fighting with your dog, especially if he is spun up and handler aggression or displaced aggression is a possibility. Your approach to eliminating the conflict is the right way to go. Since he enjoys the "fight" so much, I would make him earn it by being correct in his work. I would use that drive to my advantage and let him know the way to the fight is by obedience and control. Have you worked on any capping exercises or teaching the dog to contain himself before he is rewarded?

I can certainly empathize with you, I've been there in the past and I am literally heading in that direction now. I have been blessed with my current Patrol Dog, Boomer that I raised and trained from a pup. Clear headed, highly driven, strong, aggressive, civil, but no handler aggression and a joy to work. Boomer is now almost 10 and retiring shortly. I am on my way to pick up my new Patrol Dog. A 3 year old, KNPV titled Dutch Shepherd that is being offered because he is a bit edgy and has already tagged a couple of handlers. He is not fitting into a role were multiple handlers need to work him. He is a large, strong dog and a serious dog. I did meet on of the handlers and saw a very "nice" bite on his forearm. I have my work cut out for me and I am excited for the challenge. I am hoping that I can bond with this dog and make him a super Patrol dog. Hopefully, I am not making frequent visits to the "doc in a box."

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

[QUOTE=Slamdunc;7582041]Well keeping calm is definitely a start. You are correct in not fighting with your dog, especially if he is spun up and handler aggression or displaced aggression is a possibility. Your approach to eliminating the conflict is the right way to go. Since he enjoys the "fight" so much, I would make him earn it by being correct in his work. I would use that drive to my advantage and let him know the way to the fight is by obedience and control. Have you worked on any capping exercises or teaching the dog to contain himself before he is rewarded? /QUOTE]

Right now he works to work, when he is clear, calm and correct he gets the reward. I've developed a whole lot of patience training him.

Thanks for the reply. I only have one scar from him but that was totally my fault I've gotten pretty good at leash handling since he started to mature.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:36 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't really have any advice, I have no personal experience with a dog such as yours. Only wanted to say that I have seen a few dogs from the breeder that you got Cuervo from, and they can be very "high" and very difficult to settle in the work, so congrats on doing such a good job with your boy.

A dog like yours can be a joy to work with , as they put 300000% into everything they do, and do it with enthousiasm, precision, and sparkle. I bet his obedience is to die for!! The down-side is getting the control and calmness in protection work.

The only advice I can think of is in the lines of what Slamdunc said: work on maintaining the relationship and the trust you have with him, do not allow others to handle him or correct him. (which you probably know not to do at a deep gut feeling level anyways).

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I don't really have any advice, I have no personal experience with a dog such as yours. Only wanted to say that I have seen a few dogs from the breeder that you got Cuervo from, and they can be very "high" and very difficult to settle in the work, so congrats on doing such a good job with your boy.

A dog like yours can be a joy to work with , as they put 300000% into everything they do, and do it with enthousiasm, precision, and sparkle. I bet his obedience is to die for!! The down-side is getting the control and calmness in protection work.

The only advice I can think of is in the lines of what Slamdunc said: work on maintaining the relationship and the trust you have with him, do not allow others to handle him or correct him. (which you probably know not to do at a deep gut feeling level anyways).

Yeah I've heard that A LOT about their dogs, thankfully we have a great relationship and they (the breeders) have been a tremendous help. He loves to work and once he's on he's on. That's the only comment I remember from his BH "this is clearly a dog that loves to work and is doing it out of the sheer enjoyment rather than being made to".

We have a great relationship which is probably my saving grace, his puppyhood was spent on engagement and bond building almost exclusively.

He's been double handled before but the corrections always have to come from me or someone is almost guaranteed to get hurt if he's in the wrong frame of mind. As for someone else handling him altogether, we tried that at a seminar because I wasn't getting what they were telling me and he completely shut down refusing to even give focus so it's not a road we'll go down again.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The skill is finding a way to convince the dog that what you want is what he wants. Force rarely works because it just increases the fight and fighting with this type of dog just makes it worse since they relish in the fight. Not getting frustrated (this is my weakness) is a huge issue. If you feel like things are going badly or that you are starting to get frustrated or a fight might ensue, put the dog up. No other suggestions since I am not there to see what he is doing.

LOL re: someone else handling your dog. Without the relationship from a puppy it isn't happening. I had a friend that wanted to handle my old female. She would be OK for a bit and then decide he hadn't rewarded her quickly enough or that maybe she really wanted the ball "NOW". He got bitten several times, but did manage to put a TR2 and 3 on her. She was never nasty. It was the lack of respect for this person whom she had not grown up with. I would NEVER have dreamed of handing Deja off to someone else.

I like these dogs, but they can be a challenge and do make me feel like I am a totally worthless handler/trainer at times.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page