Engagement - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Engagement

While I've been reading/researching different training methods and techniques I've seen 'engagement' come up again and again. My girl is 6 months old and I want to get make sure I'm doing this properly. I've seen some very impressive videos with the peoples dogs totally focused on them and couldn't care less about anything that is going on around them. I know I shouldn't compare my puppy to a dog that's obviously been working hard on it, but I want to get there one day! Any suggestions on how this is accomplished? I can't even imagine being able to let her off leash and have her come back to me. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:23 AM

You just have to convince your dog that you are the most interesting thing around. Easy right? One trainer said, "it is easy. You just have to be more interesting than dirt!". Well, if there is a wonderful smell in the dirt guess who takes second place. And with all those wonderful videos how many of them are inside or in a small yard with few distractions?

Can it be done? On yes, but I think you hit the nail on the head, lots and lots of play with your pup for starts. Have we figured it out with our dogs? Nope, still working on it

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Engagement is nothing more than opening a line of communication with the dog. Focused heeling is something else entirely. As already mentioned, you have to become fun and exciting. The dog needs to know that the most rewarding things in life come from you. When it comes to getting solid focus for heeling and such, my wife and I take our young dogs to work with us in at least one new environment every week. Sometimes a calm park they haven't been to, and sometimes the college campus with lots of stuff going on. Here is a video of my wife working her boy in a place he had never been before. Seems calm. What you don't see or hear in the video is the kids playing in the creek, or the people playing with their dogs in the field next to us. http://youtu.be/9hfNEiHDQf4

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

mycobraracr, that is going to turn out to be a nice heel.

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:33 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

There are some great links on engagement here ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page