Opinion on a dog's mentality - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Opinion on a dog's mentality

I've learned much about this particular breed's " wiring"/drives/motivations/predispositions/reactions etc. from members in this forum and it has benefited my dog and me wonderfully.....however....since I think like a human and try my best to think like my dog to enhance the learning curve, I still appreciate I have miles to go to truly understand what goes on between my dog's ears.

So, when your dog is at peak level ( yielding to a particular drive), regardless of the situation....is your dog comparable to an adrenaline junkie...getting it's drug fix?...where the dog continually seeks out this intensity going forward or do you equate it to a weaker desire of sorts? I appreciate that we attempt to modify/lessen certain drives as well as build on them...but that's all the same....in human terms, for those of you with driven dogs...what do you compare their level of intensity to in human terms?

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

I think it really depends on the individual. I don't doubt that some dogs get that adrenaline rush but probably not all of them.

Have you read the book "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 PM

I've always thought they go into drive by instinct,not by choice because it feels good.Like when Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk.I don't know about level of intensity.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

Great question! Adrenaline rush for sure. If as Bailiff suggests - the dog is a whole and acting as a whole - there is an entire involvement when they are so pumped up so quickly, that they cry for the thing or behavior they are compelled to do.... with every fiber of their being....

Along the same line of thinking - they must get rewarded both mentally and physically for doing the action.....

Think of a pack of hunting dogs just released and hot of the trail of close prey....instinct yes, reward in "the doing" yes - it's got to be IMO a release of adrenaline, endorphins, instinct yes - and who knows what else - that they can run themselves to death...... Just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page