E collar was too strong now what - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

E collar was too strong now what

After a lot of internal debates I decided to go with the Lou Castle e collar training. I made the mistake of purchasing a sport dog 425S e collar. While it seems to be a quality collar. I realized at the end of our training (recall) that it was way too much juice. I thought he went close to me pretty quick. Within 12 times. Once I couldn't sneak away (He was velcro) I then went through the turn and zap phase. I didn't realize that it was too much because I was pulling as I was zapping. I had it on the lowest setting. It wasn't until I mistimed the very last turn that I noticed he was in actual pain with each zap. He has been walking around scared ever since. He is sleeping now. I will return it to TSC tomorrow and purchase one that lou recommends on his site. Here is my question. How long should I wait to let Rosko get over the blunder that was today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

ugh, you weren't working with anyone other than Lou's instruction? When I went through training with my dog(Dogtra) I had another set of eyes and help from a very experienced person. She does field retrieving/hunt tests...steps to intro and then proof does sometimes involve the dog being velcro'd to the handler because they feel that is the 'safe spot' We did a lot of sessions on directionals before we proofed the stim level. I would get with a trainer that can help you. I know Lou is great, but he isn't with you and seeing your timing, etc.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Master Member

This thing? Shop for FieldTrainer® 425S by SportDOG - SD-425S

Never heard of this brand, but just reading "for stubborn dogs" tells me all I want to know about the manufacturer. And that should have been a clue for the levels of intensity this thing provides... but anyways, water under the bridge.

Lou Castle's site recommends Dogtra and Einstein brands. I have no experience with Dogtra products, but I have an Einstein ET800TS (w/ dual receivers) and it's fantastic (have previously owned TriTronics and Gamin e-collars).

As far as how long to wait... order the new collar, it'll take a week to get, and then let Rosko wear it for a couple hours here and there without it actually being used. If you can, make an association between putting the collar on and doing something fun (like going for a walk). I reach for the e-collar and Liza runs to me, sticking her head into it - she knows we're about to go out. Positive association is always good.

After a few of these walks I'd start using the collar at the conditioning level (the lowest stim at which you see a response - such as an ear twitch). You don't need to wait much more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
This thing? Shop for FieldTrainer:registered: 425S by SportDOG - SD-425S

After a few of these walks I'd start using the collar at the conditioning level (the lowest stim at which you see a response - such as an ear twitch). You don't need to wait much more than that.
Yeah, that's the one. I figured that the lowest settings would all be about the same. The higher settings would be the stubborn dog area. I was wrong.

That is what I was hoping to do. Definitely will need to let him wear the collar for a spell before using I think.

Last edited by cdwoodcox; 01-03-2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Move text
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
ugh, you weren't working with anyone other than Lou's instruction? When I went through training with my dog(Dogtra) I had another set of eyes and help from a very experienced person. She does field retrieving/hunt tests...steps to intro and then proof does sometimes involve the dog being velcro'd to the handler because they feel that is the 'safe spot' We did a lot of sessions on directionals before we proofed the stim level. I would get with a trainer that can help you. I know Lou is great, but he isn't with you and seeing your timing, etc.
Thanks I'll ask the lady that has been training rosko if she has experience with e-collar training. That is what the hesitation was about on my part. He is doing good with regular training. However I have read a lot about recall training with e-collar. Plus I like the idea of being able to alert him while he's a ways off in the woods with the beep or vibrate mode.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Elite Member

If your dog is super sensitive they can show stress reactions the first time you do recalls on the collar at any level. Don't let this worry you. Stress is part of life they have to learn to deal with. Once they learn how to make the pressure stop and have been exposed to a few sessions even the super sensitive soft dogs lose the stress behaviors.
It sounds like you did to many recalls. With a soft dog doing to much is counter productive. If you go out and do 2 to 4 recalls in a session call it a day. To much repetition creates the velcro dog that won't leave you. Why would he? He knows the second he does he will get stimulated and recalled.
Use nick instead of continuous if the bottom setting is to high.
That being said sport dog is a crappy brand. I don't sell it or recommend it to my clients.

Bastian the Beast

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Master Member

I believe the issue is attempting to use the low-stim method with an ecollar that does not have low levels --not the number of reps...

Go with Ecollar Technologies or dogtra order online.

Pay NO attention to the behavior let it diminish over the next few days while you wait for your new ecollar to arrive.

Enzo v TeMar
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Lets stop with escalating this! The OP has an issue of his own admitted making, and is looking to resolve it.

Those who can help him get past the problem, please do so and all others please stay out.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

OP, I would wait with using (even not introducing on level 0) the new collar until the dog is completely back to his old self ( and you too), no matter how long it takes. And yes, like a previous poster said, do not pay attention in any form to his behavior. Keep a confident and happy attitude. You may feel guilty but that doesn't help the dog. Sometimes bad things happen and we learn and get over it. So can dogs. Carefully study the technique.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I didn't try it on my neck but I did hold it in my hand prior to using with Rosko. It honestly wasn't that bad when I held it. But, evidently my tolerance is higher than Roskos. Anyway after his nap he was fine. I think it was all just a bit much too quick. as far as which E-collar I will either go with the dogtra platinum 280ncp or the einstein ET-502. Both look to be good collars with 1/2 mile range. I'll probably have my father who has trained multiple coon dogs with e collars help out at first. I still want to use the lou castle method when I asked him if he used that method he said he didn't know who that was. But the procedure sounded almost identical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page