Expectations in training puppies and dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Expectations in training puppies and dogs

I find that I'm worried that people have way too high expectations from the get go for puppies and dogs that need training. It seems like they just expect this and that to happen. Dogs, people, horses, don't come into the world knowing all of the stuff you want from them. It is your job, your hard work, your commitment that gets them there. You can have high expectations for your puppy but ONLY after you have set and achieved high expectations for yourself as a trainer, handler, caretaker, etc.

This was on FB, from horseman Ray Hunt. Just put GSD everywhere you see horse.

"We expect immediate learning from a horse. We expect him to go from kindergarten to the eighth grade - to high school - to college without enough time, preparation, or consideration for his thoughts and feelings. We often don't even get him into a learning frame of mind before we begin to train him. We don't even have him relaxed and confident, where he can sit down in class and just listen. We skip all that preparation because we are so superior, or neglectful, or lazy. Because we haven't prepared ourselves to recognize the horse's feelings." - Ray Hunt.

HAPPY 2016. COMMIT TO YOUR WONDERFUL ANIMALS TO BRING OUT THE BEST IN YOU AND THEM.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

I believe your right. For the first year all my dogs go through a minimum of three classes-the last two have done more like 5 classes. The CGC isn't much, but that is my goal. Once I get there I still incorporate training into everyday stuff, but classes slow down. I will do drop ins for those I feel need it. I also like doing fun things with them, but even those things are way more fun if they know basic commands. I love training dogs, I probably don't need to do the classes but I still do so they can experience it. I have two that didn't do all those classes, but they know just as much as the others because I still worked with them. I love the end result and seeing the work pay off.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Elite Member

Which is why my last two dogs was brought in as young dogs, so they could be accessed for the work they were intended for and not as a puppy that may or may not be suitable for the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM

Ray Hunt's statement is right on!As others have said on the forum you have to work with and understand the dog in front of you.And for pete's sake enjoy them for who they are!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:27 PM

I've never taken my dogs to classes. I've always done the training at home by myself. They all know basic obedience such as: come, sit, stay. Walking with a leash can be challenging sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Elite Member

I got more dog than I expected. I have done many things correctly, such as, seek professional help to become a better handler, be open-minded, and accept criticism. The two things I think are really important are 1.) your relationship to your dog and knowing your dog as an individual with specific likes and dislikes, wants and needs, and 2.) Never giving up on your dog or yourself as a handler.

Ray Hunt nailed it.

Moriah
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

Karin, so true. I love to take it easy with pups. Just teaching them impulse control and some rules. I do teach walking on leash, recall and sits and downs at a basic level. It is pretty relaxed enjoying your new pup. They always come out just fine; consistent obedient and a joy to live with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

And all of you, I bet, take full responsibility for the art of training and working with your pup. I guess I'm speaking more of the ..."he is 8 weeks old and won't stop..... (e.g., biting, jumping, peeing, whining, etc). The expectations are over the top. And don't get me wrong, I think you can have high expectations for a dog if you want to... I do..., but that can never be achieved without high expectations and commitment from the handler...first..., IMHO.

Anyway, hats off to the people who take that responsibility for team work and training seriously.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
And all of you, I bet, take full responsibility for the art of training and working with your pup. I guess I'm speaking more of the ..."he is 8 weeks old and won't stop..... (e.g., biting, jumping, peeing, whining, etc). The expectations are over the top. And don't get me wrong, I think you can have high expectations for a dog, but that can never be achieved without high expectations and commitment from the handler...first..., IMHO.

Anyway, hats off to the people who take that responsibility seriously.
Those are all puppy things and all they know until taught different. I will say I still have not gone through the landshark or biting stage with any of them. I think part of it is the other dogs, but I also keep them super busy as pups. They go for walks, car rides, classes, swimming--anything I can do with them I do. It's actually a great way to get to know them and what they love.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
I got more dog than I expected. I have done many things correctly, such as, seek professional help to become a better handler, be open-minded, and accept criticism. The two things I think are really important are 1.) your relationship to your dog and knowing your dog as an individual with specific likes and dislikes, wants and needs, and 2.) Never giving up on your dog or yourself as a handler.

Ray Hunt nailed it.

Kudos to you for recognizing this, being able to honestly appraise what needed correcting, and then for doing it!

Also agree with you on Mr. Hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page